CNC pre-buying questions

Downloading them one piece at a time did not work?

I just used the download links at the sites that K Cummings provided

Sorry wrong thread

Well, I got those 2 working.
Now, to figure out what Iā€™m doing with them

Since I have too much time on my hands waiting for the Rambo boards to make my order,I have been pondering the size again.

Since I am still figuring out what all I want to make, itā€™s a little bit difficult picking an ideal size.

It seems that the most common size is 24"X24" but was starting to wonder about 30"X18"

I would appreciate those of you experienced users to chip in on limitations to either or pros and cons.

Thank you

Thatā€™s not really ā€œbiggerā€ enough to make a huge difference in your experience. The 30 inch side might require some lengthening for the wires, but Iā€™m not sure. Either way, donā€™t get hung up on it. Itā€™s easy enough to change the size later. I did it twice before converting to the lowrider.

Thanks, Tony.
Iā€™m sure glad all you guys are here to help me make less mistakes.
I have a feeling Iā€™m going to invent some new ones when I get started.

As an aside, does anyone have a wooden ring template?
Thatā€™s something I want to try after I get set up and running to add to my wifeā€™s craft show jewelry inventory.
I saw and canā€™t find again on YouTube how someone set up and made, like 20, or so at a time

1 Like

My first (maybe second) post here was thanking everyone for all the advice theyā€™d given, and also for all the questions theyā€™d asked. I spent a lot of time reading and got hold of all the things I had thought to ask as well as a bunch of things I hadnā€™t. Feels good to be on the other side, now.
As for rings, what are you thinking? Ring could mean a lot of things.

Wooden rings like jewelry.
Either solid wood or laminated veneer.

I did find a few videos on YouTube with some different software but I think I may have the concept.
But, if anyone has experience, Iā€™d appreciate any tips

I am running a 24x36 with 1" stainless. Very fun build. I am a total rookie here, so I followed Ryanā€™s advice on serial (Non dual-stop). I bought the whole electronics package from V1 and it works perfectly. I finally transitioned over to Fusion360 and it works great using Guffyā€™s code. TY Guffy! Lots of fun once you get it built and moving! Hereā€™s a pic of my 2nd spoil board I ran last Friday. Good luck on your build!

IMG_1549

3 Likes

Looks good! Although it could be straighter :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m trying to figure out how he mounted the MPCNC on the wall like that.

3 Likes

My camera skills sometimes are nicht so gut!

2 Likes

Iā€™m a super rookie myself. Just starting to understand estlcam. Would you recommend going for F360 and Guffys code?? Iā€™ve just used tinkercad/inkscape and estlcam so far.

Wooden rings are easy, itā€™s literally two circles, but you will still have to true them up by throwing them on a drill and sanding the outside, or making a makeshift lathe on the drill like I did.

3 Likes

The easiest way to do a laminated ring, IMO, is to wrap it around a ring core you can get for a few bucks on Etsy. Titanium, stainless, Sterling silver, carbon fiber, etc. You can also cut the core from wood and then wrap veneer or shavings from a plane around it. Solid wood rings are pretty weak, so this gives it some strength.

2 Likes

I 3d printed one a while ago. I sketched the cross section in xz, set it away from the origin by the radius length, then revolved it around the z axis. Didnā€™t look anywhere NEAR that nice, though!

Thanks, Aaron and Tony
Nice rings

I was thinking on laminating several layers

I would throw onshape into the hat as a contender as well. You donā€™t have to install anything, and it is pretty easy to learn. The 3D part is mostly just making a sketch, and either extruding it, or rotating it to make shapes. You can add bevels or roundovers with a few clicks. When you are happy with the 3D and want to make a 2D DXF for estlcam, you can just make a new sketch, and bring in all the details from the 3D part using the ā€œuseā€ tool. None of that is going to make any sense, but if you watch a few minutes of videos, it will.

I have used fusion too, and there are a lot fewer questions in onshape. Fusion is constantly bringing in these forms with a bunch of different options. I am sure it is very powerful, but I am not doing this as my job, I donā€™t need all of that. The nail on the coffin was that I use Linux as a desktop, so I had to use a windows VM to run fusion, which really used a lot of resources on my computer. FWIW, you can also use fusion as the CAD platform, and export DXFs to use in estlcam. Itā€™s a similar operation, you make whatever you want in 3D, and then make a sketch and trace the important features, then export the sketch.

3 Likes

I would think that laminating up your own multi-layered plywood could be helpful. The problem I see with a solid wood ring is that, at some point or two, youā€™re cutting across the grain, and youā€™ll have a very weak point or two. But if you laminate up a bunch of layers of veneer running in different directions, youā€™ll always have at least a few layers of wood grain holding things together. Not as strong as laminating around the circumference, for sure, but still better than solid wood.