CNC.js marlin branch (old post, no longer in a branch)

This is more “Software Development” than “Hardware Development”, but I was just poking around CNC.js’s github, and I found someone requested a Marlin version, and there is a marlin branch:

I use CNC.js with my rpiCNC grbl firmware, but this would be a great way to get CNC.js working with the normal setup.

BTW, CNC.js is awesome. Similar to octoprint, but designed for CNC work:

The developer is also very active.

1 Like

There’s also a desktop variant, which could be useful in place of repetier or pronterface if it gets integrated into mainstream:

just downloaded the software, Desktop version, im wondering if it will work with my orange or banana pi, have to try it out, there chinese copies but there great little boards with added features. https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/New-Developemnt-Boards/1553371_511467239.html?spm=2114.10010108.100008.19.904Ff2

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/group/Banana-Pi-Series/1534002_507050247.html?spm=2114.12010612.0.0.ib8agO

I think the desktop version won’t work with Marlin (yet, AFAIK). It’s grbl, or smoothie or tinyG.

That is great - I was thinking of hooking up OctoPi to my RAMPS to allow Wifi transfer of the Gcode, and adding a small touchscreen I have lying around to the Pi to give my MPCNC an OctoPi based touch interface. Will check out cncjs.

Yeah, I’m not sure how far it’s gotten. I haven’t tried it, but if you do, let us know how it goes. If you want to go to octopi, it’s no different on the Hardware. If you want an SD image that’s got CNC.js already, there’s one for the piCNC:

https://wiki.protoneer.co.nz/Raspberry_Pi_CNC_User_Interface_SD_Card_Image

You’ll still have to get the Marlin branch, instead of the master, but it is probably an easier starting place.

Anyone get this to work? Since v1.9.12 5/12/17, Marlin is now officially supported. But once I get connected, the cnc does not respond to any commands or gcode uploads.

[attachment file=71279]

Yeah, I have ran it by now, on v1pi. Theres an issue with a timeout failing, and the ‘ok’ getting missed. There is a solution to commenting out a line, and there’s a github issue for it. The workaround is to send some other command in the terminal window, which will send another ‘ok’. I just send G1 X0. That seems to work for me.

I added that to the page I have here.

I really like it over repetier host. However, I found the jog controls move the Z axis really fast and mess it up. Doesn’t appear to listen to max feed rate. Do you know where to configure the max feed rate for the controls in cnc.js by any chance?

Using the latest desktop version which has marlin support. (and that strange bug, easy to bypass as you said)

Thanks,

Chris

I don’t know if there’s an easy option for that. I would guess it’s relying on the machine’s firmware for that limit. I am guessing you could add G1 F600 before using the jog buttons, and you could use one of the many macro options for that. But probably safer is to set up the max z feedrate in Marlin. What version of Marlin are you running?

1 Like

I was using the one that came with my mini rambo, 2.0.0 bugfix I think it was. (board came from Ryan recently). I thought the max was already defined in there. I just updated it to the mini-rambo one so I can look and see what the settings are in there. I needed to enable eeprom.

repetier host moves z at the slow rate. I didn’t configure it, i thought it used the max feedrate so found it strange.

it’s WAY better though, I need to get it working.

I just checked. Z vmax is limited to 30, but with cnc.js it’s going way faster and screwing it up. huh

Is the steps/mm set right? If you ask for 10mm, does it go 10, or like 40? Maybe start with 1mm :slight_smile:

Can you tell which gcode it’s sending (it should be in the terminal window). I would check, but my machine is off.

I see now Marlin listed on Git page, it didn’t list on the website.

This topic is super old (2017). It isn’t in a branch anymore.