Chipping while pocketing

I am trying to pocket cut a sign. I am having issues with the wood chipping. I suspect it is chipping along the grain line. These two pictures are when I tried offset pocketing, but I had similar issues with raster. Is there a better way of doing it? This is just the roughing pass and not the rest pocket (haven’t even got to that operation yet). This is the same cutter that I just used to do some profile cutting, so it isn’t dull. The router is set to the lowest setting, and the DOC and feed rate are the same as the profile cutting. Thie first picture it tore off part of the number 1 and the bottom of the H on the other.

Yeah, that happens with soft wood quite easily. Try a 1/8 endmill if you haven’t done so. :slight_smile:

What are those numbers?

You can try a smaller Depth of cut, or step over. It is helpful for soft wood.

It is a 1/4” bit using a DOC of 4.76mm and speed of 50 in/min. I am thinking of using Millmage’s offset tool to move the cut away from the letters to get rid of the bulk of the material. Then use a smaller bit (1/8”) to clean that up.

What step over?

Fantastic idea.

40% on that bit.

I wanted to give an update on this. I was able to get it to work fine. The key is to use down cut bits only. It’s not perfect. I still need to dial in a few things, but for my first one, it turned out really well.

in Millmage for pockets like what your doing i always leave 1mm offset and than do a rest pocket , does take longer but less heart ache than watching a piece fly off

and picking you know some off sets need to be a negative , mind blank thinks it a pocket in a pocket becomes negative

I did 2 pockets. One with an offset and then a second one that went just a little deeper and closer. Then used two smaller bits with rest pockets to finish it. Once they get v-carving with clearing bits, this will be better because you can use the v-bit to do the majority of the letter carving.

yes the v carving clearing will be great

see how you have lines around letters from outline pass , i hate sanding them , so i played around and came up with a way to only do minimal sanding

set pocket final depth -0.25mm

than run a new operation at 0.25mm doc in raster no outline step over max of 30-40 %

i leave feed same and just toggle it in move tab 200% long runs sometimes right down to 30% in tight areas

it will seem like watching paint dry 1st couple times you do it after that it becomes the norm

I’ll have to try that next time to remove the outline.