Cat 6

I’ve got a bunch of extra CAT 6 networking cable. Do you think that it will work as extension cabling for my stepper motors?

As long as the wires are stranded, it should be no problem. Solid-core can break due to dynamic load.

I used a piece for my extruder on a 3D printer I built before it met it’s glorious end with a screwdriver jammed in its x gantry…whew, anyway, had the extruder stepper, heatbreak fan, and part fan all down the one cable.

If it’s in a big box, it’s probably solid core made to go from a patch panel to a wall outlet. That won’t work. Has to be the patch cables that would go from the wall to the computer, or patch panel to switch. Patch cables are stranded and made to be moved around. The other stuff will work harden when being bent around and break.

2 Likes

Trust Barry. This guy CAT6s

1 Like

hahahahahahahahahaha

Thank you all for the advise. I will purchase some stranded wiring.

In my day, we had 50Ω terminators and vampire taps! It was that, or you were setting token traps out under desks, in case the damned thing got loose…

3 Likes

It’s when some ass hat removes a terminator that you have all the fun.

3 Likes

The real smh moment was when I was helping map the existing network to prep for a conversion to twisted-pair. From the top corner of a seven story, city block sized building, to the basement, across to the opposite corner, back up to the seventh floor, the back down again to the fifth floor so they could get the PDP-11 directly on the backbone. Not convinced that they had abused thicknet enough, they had 20’ or so of extra cable, so they coiled it up, and tucked it away on top of a power panel.

Of course, these are also the geniuses who figured that since 10baseT only uses two of the four pairs of wires, they’d just run the phones on the other two pairs.

1 Like

AT&T installers STILL do this when deploying residential internet and phone! I see it all the time.

1 Like

Just to add to the convo… I still have one of these sitting on my desk from the “old days” of networking. At the start of wfh for covid, during daily meetings I was pulling out old tech and showing the “kids” at work stuff they’d never seen before.

3 Likes

I’ve seen someone try to run a cable off of one of those… “But the cable wouldn’t reach my desk, so I just got an extension to reach my ethernet card.”

Hi ,

I have been using mssdatasolutions cat 6 cable since last 3 years, i don’t have aby issue.