Careful with CPE printing on a prusa mini - deformation happened

Hi
I’m in the process of printing parts with a prusa mini+. Most parts I print with PLA, works pretty well, no problems so far.

Some parts, like the trucks, the core, the holding clamp for the makita I print in CPE.

But there is a problem, Just after printing the trucks to parts “cracked”. One while removing from the printer, the other when applying just the slightest stress with my hands. A spilt formed over the the holes (see image). It seems there was tension in the parts. The part is horribly thin there, so that certainly didn’t help.

I’m not sure if this split is a problem, if I need to reprint, or just glue it or leave it. Not sure if the dimensions are off now. I will find out on assembly.

I have used Fillamentum CPE HG100 and the appropriate preset for exactly that fillament in prusa slicer. The temperature settings seemed in accordance with what fillamentum recommends. The print was stuck to the surface like crazy. Removed some of the lamination from the print-surface when it finally got loose.

Anyways. Just wanted to let others know, that printing the trucks with that config (Prusa mini+, Fillamentum CPE HG100, Prusa Slicer with HG100 preset, 0.5mm nozzle) you might get warped parts.

Right now I’m not sure if I’ll print the core like this, or just use regular PLA.

Good Luck!

I’ve not heard of CPE before now.

I ran into the same issue while printing the trucks using ABS. I ended up doubling the part thick in this thin area. No more breaks in the truck.

Me neither, just saw it in the Prusa Shop when I bought the mini. CPE HG100 | Fillamentum
Sounded very interesting to me…

Interesting!
How did you change the thickness? Meshmixer?

I imported the model into Fusion 360, extruded the extra thickness in that area and saved the revised model.

1 Like

Thank you! I didn’t know I could do this with an STL. :slight_smile:

I just printed all my parts in cfpetg. Figured the cf would help with stiffness, and the petg would help with the heat. Still in the process of building though. I have to put my mpcnc back together so I can mill the side plates out.

1 Like

Interesting choice.
I just got Polymaker PC-Max (PolyMax) fillament and decided to print the core with that. My main concern is heat. Having just experienced a summer with temperatures up to 42C and PLA having a Heat deflection temperature of just over 50 I just don’t feel very comfortable with PLA.

The PC-Max has a heat deflection temperature 109 degrees C, impact resistance 74kJ/m2 and tensile strength 59 Mpa.
The CPE has a heat deflection temperature 75 degrees C, impact resistance 58kJ/m2 and tensile strength 42Mpa.
The Prusa PLA has a heat deflection temperature 55 degrees C, impact resistance 12kJ/m2 and tensile strength 57Mpa.

According to: Prusa Material Table | Prusa Knowledge Base
Interesting this.