Cable lengths

Hi everyone,

I think I have all parts and hardware now and will start my build the next few days. I was wondering if there is any information on needed Cable Lengths for example for the end stop switches. For example my rails/strut is 1400 mm. So how long should I dimension the cable for the endstop that is mounted to the core in the first few steps?

Perhaps it might even be possible to add this to the calculator.

Regards Matoz

Hey Matos, welcome to the club. Two of the cables for the steppers work without extensions, 3 need extensions. For the switches you need around 8m cable as well. At least that‘s what I needed for 140cm. :smiley:

Hi Philipp,

thanks for your answer. I was kind of hoping for a bit more specific information.

What I am asking myself at the moment is how long should I make the cable for the first endstop switch mounted on the core. Making it too short would be bad but later on cutting something off might be a bit of a waste.

I hoped there would be some kind of rough formula like x times the length of the rails or rail length + x.

But I guess I can come up with a rough estimate once I have figured out where the cable will be installed. Will look into the build instructions for this.

Thangs anyways.

Matoz

It completely depends on your build. The X cable mounted to the core varies depending where your control box is. If it is on the side, you have to cover roughly 120cm plus the bend, so maybe around 140-150cm.
If your control box was in the middle, you‘d need less, but routing the wire would be problematic.
A rough estimate could maybe be given though, but then people might be mad at Ryan for not giving the correct values if sth is too short.

1 Like

Looking at this pictures of the assembled gantry I think 1.5 times rail length looks like a good estimate.

Hello @Matoz! Hope wiring length info at Purple-black-rainbow LR3 🤷‍♂️ , build video @ https://youtu.be/FJ7nYio8oOE - #19 by azab2c helps, cheers!

1 Like

Aza our information broker. :smiley: You really did a great job putting all that information together like a squirrel gathering its nuts. That‘s why your video is so great, everything is in there! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Amazing. Thank you a lot!

1 Like