Burning out DW660

That’s not the issue. I’m using the same dust shoe. What I was trying to make sure is that you didn’t have a dust shoe that would block the exhaust outlets that are on the sides of the router.

If you’re running the router at a reduced speed, the fans cooling the internal components are also slowed down. If the router has a built-in speed control it is probably designed to move enough cooling air even at its lowest setting. If you’re using an external speed control you may be going so slow that the cooling is ineffective. I’ve seen some setups where folks add fans to augment cooling airflow when the spindle is slowed wayyy down.

2 Likes

Yes that is what I was getting at but it doesn’t sound like he was so unless he was cutting some type of conductive material 2 defective routers?

Starling in the intake?

1 Like

squirrel in the flue

Yep, There is no builtin speed control on either of my DW660s, just the on/off switch and wall power. The second one burnt out after about ~2 hours of birch plywood.

The second one obviously failed catastrophically by burning up the contacts on the stator. The first one I am not sure about as I didn’t take it apart. It still turned on and off, but very sporadically. Thinking about it now maybe the brushes were defective. Giving it a strong whack would let it run for a few seconds before cutting back out.

That does make them hard to use :wink: kind of a base drum type carving . Is your luck usually this bad? HD will deliver nad that i know does not redeliver returned merch

Use the warranty on the device direct to Dewalt. Worst case is they send you a factory refurb. It’d be better than taking a chance on another Amazon order.

3 Likes

I’m in the same boat as yours. The “Giving it a strong whack” line is exactly what I had to do. I have a video of it somewhere. I just got my first Warranty replacement yesterday. I will try it out today and see hat happens. I have noticed the new one I just got was packaged differently than the first. Maybe I’m just imagining this, but I think Amazon ones are crap…

Old topic, I know. Over the last 6 months I too burned out TWO DW660s. It always happened on larger bits. My surfacer was fine, but as other has suggested, it’s really a short job. (Or should be)

My trouble came with larger V cut bits. RC 1142 45°, and the 120° rC 1146 from Amana tool. This bits are so heavy I figure the centripetal/centrifugal (I don’t know which) coupled with the distance from the motor caused them to burn out; there was a ton of vibration with these bits.

I’ve since replaced it with a Makita RT0701C. In addition to feeling more robust, it has RPM control. Not looking back at all.