BTT SKR V1.4 + TMC2209 V1.3 "TMC Connection Error"

Hello,

i did download the Marlin Firmware for SKR 1.4 with the TMC2209 Driver. Now the problem is, that only one Motor for the x axis and one motor for the y axis is working and on the display of my Panel it says “TMC Connection Error”. I dont know what the problem is. Can you help me? :slight_smile:

I don’t think we have any firmware for the SKR v1.4 (non-turbo). The names they use drive me crazy. They are so inconsistent. But anyway.

Since you are trying to use two X and two Y, I assume you want the mpcnc version? If so, you need to enable dual X and dual Y in the configuration_adv.h file. If you download something like the V1CNC_SkrTurbo_Dual firmware from MarlinBuilder releases, you will see an example on a similar board.

There are other little tweaks, like EXTRUDERS=0, and disabling quiet stepping for the TMC drivers.

The TMC Connection Error only means one thing: The Skr is expecting to talk to the drivers, and at least one of them isn’t responding with a valid message. You need to:

• Make sure the TMC drivers have power
  • Make sure your firmware is configured for TMC2209s.
  • Make sure your jumpers are for UART
  • Connect a computer and send M122. That will tell you which drivers it is expecting to talk to.

Thank you for your answer @jeffeb3!

Yes, i want to build a MPCNC:

I did download the firmware " V1CNC_Skr1p3_2209" because of this information:

Skr1p3 → The BigTreeTech Skr v1.3 or Skr v1.4. These boards are smaller than the Skr Pro, and has 5 drivers, not 6.

TMC 2209 is the driver i am using, so 2209 ist the right version.

I think i downloaded the right Firmware of Marlin.

How do i make sure that the TMC drivers have power? Can you see in the pictures, that i did wire something wrong?

This is the specs sheet of my board: BIGTREETECH-SKR-V1.3/BTT SKR V1.4 Instruction Manual.pdf at master · bigtreetech/BIGTREETECH-SKR-V1.3 · GitHub

The pro has separate motor power. It doesn’t look like this one does. So I think it is powered correctly.

These are the instructions for the 2209 jumpers.

Did you change the board to v1.4? I would assume you have to (but I don’t have one of these).

Hi Phillip,
Did you ever get your MPCNC working using the SKRV1.4 and TMC2209’s? If so, could I please ask you to share your Marlin Firmware with me as I am building an MPCNC using exactly the same hardware.
Thanks