Board connections

UGH! I’m so frustrated. If I had hair I would have pulled it out. I can’t seem to keep the connectors attached to the control board. Homing randomly won’t work, steppers don’t stop when they are suppose to or stop mid print, steppers behave oddly because they aren’t getting a good connection.

I’m using a SKR Pro v1.2 and the cabling kit that came from V1. I’m using Doug (Design8) case. I’m not saying any of those things are the problem. What are you all doing to keep the connections secure on the board? Tired of spending an hour troubleshooting connections each time I want to use the machine or even in between jobs.

1 Like

I’m not sure of the solution on the connectors specifically to your board. But, I will add: if you haven’t yet, make sure you have strain relief or some way to attach all your wires at a fixed point at your case. That way when stuff is moving around there won’t be movement in your connectors

1 Like

Did you remove the little plastic sockets on the board, to let the pin housings on the wires get seated all the way? I think this was mentioned in the docs.

1 Like

I can tell you what I like to do, even though it becomes the most TEDIOUS task in the entire world.

Any connection I make to a header on the SKR Pro, I make sure there is a JST-XH male connector on my wire so it snaps into the headers on the board firmly. See below.

https://a.co/d/8v534MX

To do so, you need to remove any DuPont connectors or other connectors and strip the wires. Then you will use these crimpers to crimp the little contacts onto the wire.

https://a.co/d/gZG4Ynj

Then you will insert the contacts into the JST connector. Done. Not fun, but it is the most secure way imo.

2 Likes

You can see here how I have all my connections inserted with JST connectors on them. They do not pull out easily at all.

2 Likes

Hello @Ohio3D, did you already remove plastic shrouds, counter intuitively this helps make for better connections. Mentioned in docs, shared pics/video here New Build NH - #5 by azab2c hope that helps!

1 Like

Thanks all for the suggestions. I went the JST-XH route so the connections can’t come apart. I left the Dupont connectors on the far end of the extensions so it’s easy enough to reverse the stepper if I needed to but this way the board end won’t work it’s way out.

1 Like

I made a couple dupont Male to JST XH extensions to do that same thing and securely plug into the board with the ability to flip direction if needed. I tape the dupont connections together with electrical tape around the plastic.

1 Like