Black on Black - LR3

It’s all back together.

Had to slightly adjust the belts and rail. LR3 is once again squared.

Now on to the cuts that I built the LR3 for :tada: :piñata: :mirror_ball: :partying_face: :vulcan_salute:

And a few I had not planned prior to building it.

Will likely revisit/revamp the table design in the future.

P.S. it’s probably worth noting that while the guide indicates PLA should be sufficient, I would caution against using PLA for a unit that will be outside exposed to sunlight for any portion of its work cycle.

2 Likes

I’m curious as to what you would pick to use instead. That would still have the same stiffness as PLA

I’m not entirely sure yet, but am considering:

• NylonX (only comes in black, but my unit is black. So, non-issue)
  • NylonG
  • Pro Series ABS (claims are that it is stiff)
  • Carbon Fiber PETG

Looks good!

I have not had good experiences (yet, anyway) printing with CF filaments, but am interested in knowing more about printing with nylon filaments. If you use one of them, let us know how it goes!

The most promising is the CF PETG:

We ran 6 parts of each material with the force gauge. Here’s what we found:

Nylon 618: 2.6 - 3.5 lbs
Nylon X: 6.6 - 7.81 lbs
PLA : 6 -11 lbs (it sometimes breaks during first bend, and almost always breaks on 2nd or 3rd bend)
PETG: 4.5 - 7 lbs (permanently creases/deforms at the bend)
Carbon Fiber PETG: 12 - 18 lb (always shatters on first attempt)

That puts the CF PETG at a higher stiffness than PLA and PETG doesn’t mind being in the sun.

2 Likes

I have not seen that before.

You need a hardened nozzle and the rolls are looking pretty expensive but if it is more rigid and a higher glass temp that would be worth it.

I need to try some. I guess we need to find some tests for each brand, I am sure a content percentage comes into play here.

1 Like

I was always under the impression it didn’t actually do anything and was detrimental at higher percentages because there is less plastic to stick together. I am looking for more info .

Protopasta says, “less rigid than PLA and HTPLA for more flex before break” Protopasta CF PETG Filament | Carbon Fiber Filament | PETG CF Filament – Protoplant, makers of Protopasta

BAmboo has a good price but CF PLA wins out in their docs, PETG-CF | Bambu Lab US cfpetg is similar to the regular PLA in bending, PLA Basic | Bambu Lab US

Matterhackers is showing my parts on the CF page!!!PRO Series Carbon Fiber PETG Filament - 1.75mm (1kg) | MatterHackers

Hmmm, I would need to test it. More rigidity is always good, dealing with CF fibers might be a little sketchy. I would think they would never be free floating, but boy if there are any that is not good for the soft tissues.

3 Likes

I’ve been printing CF PETG quite a bit, including for all my new LR3 parts. My understanding is that it’s a little more rigid than PETG, but not as rigid as PLA. But it also trades down a bit on heat tolerance, still remaining better than PLA. I figured it was a happy medium, but I guess time will tell.

It does eventually destroy a brass nozzle. You can print with brass, you just need to figure in the replacement cost. I prefer the hardened nozzle for longevity with abrasive filaments. The CF content is pretty low, and I haven’t worried about the aerosolization problem (maybe until now :grimacing:). I think the properties vary widely by brand, but I know some folks worry about clogging. I use a 0.6 mm nozzle for most of my CF parts, and I haven’t had an issue.

1 Like

Cut the electronics panel for my 400 mm Rat Rig:

Which is what started me down this path.

3 Likes