Bits, Routers and Dimmers - Choices!

So I have a 2’ x 1.5’ MPCNC with a used DW660 that I got for free.
It’s been working well but without a dimmer the 30,000RPM burns the bits/wood if I’m not careful.

I use alot of 1/8" bits and I’m ok with wearing these faster than normal because they are cheap. I’m about to buy some 1/4" bits becuase I have some large and deep pockets to do and I’m not sure how much to spend.

I tend to be on the thrifty side and don’t have a ton of hobby money to spend. I’m looking for the cheapest LONGER run options.

After looking online people seem to strongly stand by Whiteside bits eg: (Canadian Amazon) https://www.amazon.ca/Whiteside-Router-Bits-RU2100-Standard/dp/B000K2BGNS/

They are also not to expensive! That said, They are rated 20,000RPM (24,000max) and I don’t want to burn it out before it’s time - I want to get as much life out of it as I can. Is the bit going to last if I use it at 30,000?

Is it worth it in the long run to get a 15$ rotary dimmer? Should I just buy a Makita since the DW660 may burn out eventually? Spindle? Should I buy more expensive (or cheaper?) bits? Or should I exclusively look for single flute 1/4"bits?

Let me know, Thanks for your input.

Conventional wisdom on the $15 dimmers is that they “chop” the highest energy portion of the electrical wave phase, so you end up losing torque at a higher rate than speed and don’t have any feedback to maintain RPM settings so bits can badly bog down when cuts get heavier. The circuitry in the speed controllers integrated into the routers manage power differently and include feedback to maintain consistent RPM when under load.

2 Likes

That is fair. That said, Without a doubt 30,000 is too fast and I haven’t come close to hitting the limit of the router - The problem I am encountering is bits are being used to fast and this makes me cautious to buy pricier 1/4" bits. I don’t want to waste them.

I started out with a DW660 and switched to this Makita clone when I upgraded to a Primo. It is only $80 and includes the 1/8" collet. If it saves just a couple of quality, 1/4" bits, it will pay for itself.

As for burning bits with the DW660, if you are not using single flute bits, moving to them might really help.

Also, Jeff wrote something that stuck with me in a post a couple of years ago. For many toolpaths, a 1/4" bit is only twice as fast removing material as a 1/8" bit, so unless you are doing really long jobs, going to a 1/4" bit might not provide you as much benefit as you are imagining.

I like my 1/4 bit. I have so little time that I am sometimes really glad if sth only takes 8 instead of 16 minutes. :smiley: Plus, it looks great to see the chips flying. :slight_smile: