Biqu is stopping SKR Pro production soon

Curious what’s the current thoughts on which board would likely be good to buy today for a mostly stock LR3 with a future full of Mods, BTT Octopus?

1 Like

Still the SKR Pro, I have not messed with the octopus yet. The only things better about it are the ability to use an esp32, and the endstop circuit seems more robust. When the holiday is over I will verify with them again what the production schedule is looking like, they just released another octopus board an “EZ” version. While normally I would not be interested in a ten driver board, if the cost is the same and IF the EZ drivers are easier and don’t need a pin bent I might go that way.
Learning from the other thread the boards are still pretty intimidating to some, trying to make that easier.

1 Like

The regular Octopus board doesn’t need a bent pin on the drivers to disable diag/sensorless feature. There are spots for jumpers on the Octopus board to enable the sensorless feature, and they are absent (disabled) by default.

4 Likes

I like the look of the octopus board. This thread has my itching to order one for my 3d printer.

2 Likes

Awesome! Those ez drivers look real eazy-e now! Hmmm can’t wait to see the price difference of the octo vs octo ez and drivers.

1 Like

hold off, I might have one if I switch to the EZ

1 Like

Well… Now I’ve also seen the Manta M8p with the CB1… That would clean up so much of my 3d printer from the current pi/radds setup.

1 Like

Ordered an Octopus 1.1, couldn’t resist anymore.

5 Likes

What ESP32 modules/boards are people are using with their Octopus?
BTT ESP32U Mode for SKR 3/ SKR 3 EZ/ SKR 2 / Octopus / Octopus pro – Biqu Equipment or something else?

V1Pi on Raspberry Pi sounds great, but I want to experiment with ESP3D on ESP32 for a bit.

1 Like

Yes that one!

2 Likes

What about the manta board with the pi4 compute module clicked into place? That one looks interesting to me. Could be a really expensive to let the smoke out of that one, but looks to have some horsepower.

1 Like

This has my interest piqued as well. I know nothing about kipper, so I have to do a bunch of reading first.

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: First time firmware compile help

I bought a mks tinybee just to give it a better look. It would be a great board to use with FluidNC…but the Vref connections are missing. So inexpensive, so small. I emailed to see if they are interested in a new version or maybe even a new board. I do not have high hopes but if they are interested…wow this would really be a good choice.

2 Likes

On that note, if we used the BTT 2209 drivers they have the vref pin exposed up so a jumper could be used. Does that vref need to be connected to a special chip or just a free pin?

2 Likes

By Vref pin do you mean the uart? I haven’t looked closely at how they do that without 8 dedicated pins. There must be a trick.

1 Like

You are right. I thought you could do it with just the vref pin but that is for low voltage use. UART would take care of it, that board is not set up for that at all. I think you can set each drivers channel so you can have 4 drivers per UART channel, but we need 5, so two channels.

Bummer. So close.

You can configure the tmc2209s to be in standalone mode. But then we have to use the trim pot. And they are a pain to solder.

Which version of Octopus board (and which processor) are you thinking of carrying?

I have to triple check with them. It was the F4 chip, pro, voron board.