Best reasonably priced dust collection system?

Hi Folks, I’m trying to get some feedback on the best value dust collection system I can get for my LR3 build. I was going to start with a normal Bauer Shop-vac with a cyclone bucket filter and long extension hose that I can attach to a tracked lanyard to keep the hose out of harm’s way. But I don’t know if that’s going to cut it if I’m cutting cabinet pieces out of full sheet cabinet-grade hardwood plywood. Any suggestions on best priced options?

Best priced is something that you already own.

Do you already have a shop-vac? Or a built in home vacuum system? Either can be quickly adapted to suit the purpose. Are they the best, most efficient option? No, but they are good value for money (not) spent.

I have the Harbor Freight one…

It does a good job. But if I had to do it over again I would go with the WEN…

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-DC1300-Woodworking-Collector-Collection/dp/B09XX61YD6/ref=asc_df_B09XX61YD6/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=598238949018&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16012697562043702328&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9011671&hvtargid=pla-1681046018861&mcid=8b47db05f2d33acdac274a9c10156a6e&gclid=Cj0KCQiAhomtBhDgARIsABcaYykISCQa5FaIbYaM7rFe5OIZ2tdd7qLdSO-3t9AdXCTMVl0vNFnEMsQaAp9lEALw_wcB&th=1

1 Like

I am quite happy with my shop vac and what it does. :slight_smile:

That’s what i am using with awesome results.
Good setup to start with.

So I have used a dust collector and a shop vac

Here’s my two cents. If you aren’t going to adapt for a bigger hose you’ll need the forced suction a shop vac provides to get enough power to pickup around the router.

The dust shoe Doug designed is a great collection system for either option but unless you are going to run 2.5” hose all the way I would go with a shop vac to get that pressure that’s needed.

With the shop vac definitely make sure you have the cyclone and don’t use bags if you can as much as they help they fill up without warning and can cause damage to the shop vac faster than you think. Ask me how I know

2 Likes

100% agree with that. Still amazed at opening the shop vac and it is still clean inside.

1 Like

I have a metal trash can with one of these lids in line before my dust collection. Nothing makes it to the bag on the unit unless I forget to empty the can. Have the parts to build a sensor for that soon lol

https://www.amazon.com/Woodstock-W1049-Large-Collection-Separator/dp/B0000223XY/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3NZSPWQBJDJCX&dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.rW_sT-CWrDHNiHlvW3-pfvr5tUCCAk5yEGoISbEc4qQJjspqbi2XHFC9u-9oMsw2laPxzoJBc8B-xsUIm85iyIAainA0u-ixrefeqLuDTfaBDZl39seQFkmLRNIh1LZPih491qssOvodjkCdjDPb2w.mqMjQfqFVMe-VIVG-yndqk-iyZaVk50hbIF8Nliv5Do&dib_tag=se&keywords=dust%2Bcollection%2Btrash%2Bcan%2Blid&qid=1705295783&sprefix=dust%2Bcollection%2Btr%2Caps%2C133&sr=8-3&th=1

Well that beats the hell out of a 5 gallon bucket…LOL. I assume the cutout in the center is for adding a cyclonic element that supposedly creates better suction without so much loss between it and the final vacuum/collector. but looking for “besties” for the collection system itself.

Why would you go with the DC1300 over the HF? I know the now discontinued Wen 3403 was the top choice, but I can’t seem to find people’s opinions of the DC1300 compared to the HF and I’m ready to pick one of the two of these up soon. Thanks!

I have the 2hp HF unit, but I modified mine with a Dust Deputy cyclone. It works really well. It does not work as well once you start reducing the size of the hose. I still typically use a small shop vac on the CNC machines and my hand sanders.

The dust collector works better on larger stationary machines where you can run the full 4" pipe all the way to the machine. Band saw, table saw, etc etc.

1 Like

I must have linked the wrong one by mistake. The WEN one I was looking for already has the larger impeller and a few other upgrades I believe

I think it’s this one

Ah I think the one you wanted to reference was the 3403 and I can’t find that sucker anywhere anymore or I’d have probably jumped on it too.

The DC1300 seems to be the same size impeller as the HF similar power as well. $50 more about

I have the harbor freight, and replaced the impeller with the WEN one from that unit.

It’s similar to the mod everyone does with the Rikon impeller, but the Rikon impeller is $120 when it’s in stock, and the WEN one is ~$50 or something like that

Edit: [3403-022] Turbo Fan for WEN 3403 — WEN Products

1 Like

Yep I got one of the WEN impellers for mine. Unfortunately Fedex delivered it one evening and left it right in the middle of the driveway, father in law came back with his race car after that and “modified” the box and its contents

1 Like

Sounds like an easy and worthwhile mod? Any regrets so far?

HF and larger impeller might be the way. I was planning on doing the larger impeller just wasn’t sure if it was going to be on the HF machine or the Wen DC1300

It helped mine. You just have to be careful with this mod as it does cause the motor to draw more current.

You also don’t want to “test” the impeller without closing it all the way back up. It needs the flow restriction to keep the motor from drawing way too much power.

It gave me a noticeable difference in cfm movement. You can find tons of videos on Youtube about the Rikon impeller change and how much difference it makes

1 Like

But starting with the Harbor Freight you have no regrets on? Good base for building a system around?

I mean, I’d love to have a better one :grin:

But given the price I was wanting to stay under, I’m happy.

I mangled mine and built a Thien baffle setup that makes it much better for me to manage it without messing with the bag getting full of fine dust, etc.

3 Likes