Best CNC Dust Collection System for Woodworking Expert Recommendations

I have been researching the best CNC dust collection setup for the past few days because I want to keep my workspace cleaner and reduce the amount of dust and chips produced during CNC work. I came across these two options that seem to be popular:

Genmitsu 65mm & 69mm CNC Dust Shoe

FoxAlien 69mm Diameter Dust Shoe for CNC

However I am having trouble deciding which one would best suit my needs and need some advice from experienced CNC users. I mainly work with wood and MDF and usually deal with a lot of fine dust and larger wood chips. I want something that provides good suction and does not clog the filter too quickly.

Which one would you recommend for a CNC setup? Are there any other dust collection systems or accessories that I should consider?

Any recommendations or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

you need at least a cyclone dust separator and a powerful wet/dry vacuum. I run one of those and also a cloth bag in the vacuum to catch fine dust. works great both for CNC and for orbital sander or other manual operations as well

Also, the shoe has to fit the machine… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Greetings, Fin. Welcome to the V1 community forums.

You haven’t given enough information to have us really help you. What type of CNC machine do you have? What do you use it for? What kinds of materials are you cutting? Where are you located, with what kind of available AC service? How big is your shop or workspace?

Also, out of curiosity, why have AI write up such a simple question? Are you not a native English speaker?

I have a dewalt shop vac and cyclone, I haven´t unpacked it yet. I did however think about hose sizes, in the docs a 70 OD mm hose is linked. In my location only 50 mm OD hose is easily sourced.

How does hose diameter/ size matter?

I made cyclone with a 20 ltr bucket and 40mm pipe. had drill 3mm hole in lid or it implodes the bucket :rofl:

the best option is to get a broken wet/dry vacuum and reuse the bottom part from it

I don’t pretend to be an expert. But as a small suction, I use a 3d-printed barbecue fan+cyclone

and 3D printed parametric suction

How much room do you have for the dust collector? I went the harbor freight DC route with a cyclone mod.

This is over 6’ tall for scale

I also use a 3D printed cyclone, and the vacuum from my wife that she wanted to replace. Sometimes when the bucket is full the vacuum pulls everything so I have a bag in it. I never have issues, works like a charm.

So, I have no experience with the big CFM flowing towers, aka those dust collectors with a plastic bag on bottom and a textile bag on top. But my logic is the following:
That type of dust collector moves BIIIG quantity of air, however it has 0 suction power, so the more you restrict the airflow, it gets exponentionally worse at moving air. For example they are mostly 100mm hoses, and for the CNC, for example i use the LR4, has i think 65mm inner diameter for dust hose, I run a 70mm hose, it grabs the outside of the shoe and somewhat fits. However I run a big shop vac, a raider DC-02, paired with a vevor cyclone. Both have 100mm pipes and hoses, and then from the vevor to the CNC i run 4 meters 70mm. The vacuums have less CFM, but they have SUCTION, aka vacuum fource. As soon as the brushes from the dust shoe get within 5mm of the material im cutting, I can hear the metal drum on the bottom of the separator pop, aka cave in a bit. I have basically 0 dust left after cutting on the table, 99.9% of the chips are in the cyclone bin, and that 0.1% is very very fine dust which goes in the vacuum bin, seems like only MDF manages to clog my bag in the vacuum, but one quick blow and its back on. The vacuum also has a hepa filter and two bags to put over the filter for finer particles.


Its not fully perfect, I think the vacuum is even too strong for this cyclone, even though its hte biggest i could fine on a budget. Vacuum was 80 euros, separator was 100 with the metal bin underneath it. So for this price i Can’t complain, its doing a perfect job.

EDIT:
Forgot to mention, they claim 100% antistatic, BUUUUULSHIIIT. I’ve ran so much wiring to ground this thing, a lightning zapped me from 10cm away, before I did that, I grounded the cable that goes to the CNC, but after the dust enters the separator and starts spinning, it starts charging static in the cyclone plastic and in the bin. CNC is safe, but the bin could have set on fire with all that wood in it, after grounding the cyclone seprately, No more static anywhere.