Basic cutting tool set?

Hi,

My new MPCNC is about 80% assembled (thanks to Ryan and others answering some basic questions with patience and tolerance :slight_smile:

Time to get ready by purchasing some cutting tools. I have a Dremel 4000 and a Makita router that I will be using as the milling device, and I would appreciate some advice on what cutters to buy to start with.

My aims are to Firstly:

cut parts for rc boats and planes out of balsa and 3mm or so ply

Cut parts out of MDF and ply up to 3/4 inch or so

Later:

Try some 3d carving

Make signs

Mill aluminium parts

These are the dream aims - as a beginner I figure I’ve got a lot to learn before I attempt some of these things and intend to take it in baby steps!

I’d like to know what cutters to start with…apart from what appears to be the ubiquitous 1/8" singe flute upcut…

V shape? Ball nose? most useful sizes? Downcut?

Are the 10 packs of carbides like these any good?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10PCS-3-175-mm-22mm-Single-Flute-Spiral-Carbide-CNC-Router-Bits-Milling-Cutter/281539769354?epid=1491524744&hash=item418d13f40a:g:cwkAAOSwo6lWMbRI

Just looking for suggestions on the first few tools to buy

cheers

Gary

The single flute upcut will do most of the work, thin stuff might do better with a downcut. Everything else is kinda specialized. Ball is mostly for 3D (2.5D) carving, V bit are more for marking and engraving-ish stuff.

depend on detalization that you want to mill probably it would be handy to have
flat single flute bits - 1/1.5/2/2.5mm and 3mm or 1/8

V-bits - 45/60/90 degrees. for PCB engraving - sharper, 10-20 degree

a few ball bits - R0.5/R1/R1.5mm.
for high precision final pass of 3d milling - may be sharp 7 degree v-bit with ball end R0.1

imho no need to buy 10 items of same tool until you really need it

I buy 10 packs mostly because Ryan doesnt carry .8mm or 1.6mm bits or the length I need. They work fine but are very brittle at that size so I go through quite a few. The kyocera bits Ryan caries are much sharper and last longer than most of the 10 pack bits I have gotten.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I’ve ordered a set of 10 1/8" bits via Ebay, I’ll get some quality bits once I learn how to drive my MPCNC. I’m now at the wiring stage having assembled my kit and build a table for it. Going away for Easter so will be next week before it is completed.

cheers

Gary

Australia