Bambu labs?

Would agree with you except the team is engineers that worked at DJI and they already have the production line running fully functioning units (over half a dozen 3D printer reviewers used working machines and the specs are 95% there. IOS software needs work and spaghetti detection isnt 100%).

Fulfillment window is tighter and realistic because unit count for kickstarter is going to be small.

I was listening to a few opinions about it this weekend. I have not dug in to all the details myself, and I think it kind of goes two ways in terms of a ā€œmakersā€ perspective. We all have 3D printers around here, and we know they do not last forever, but the newer printers are really starting to get some good longevity. The main complaint I heard was serviceability, and more than once someone mentioned the rails wearing out. They do have spare parts available, https://us.store.bambulab.com/collections/printer-parts, just not the rails glued in rails, yet. Honestly, I suspect they will be available as soon as a few people have an issue, whenever that might be. It seems there are a lot of parts already for such a new company. Really, letā€™s be honest, someone will figure out a way to change the rails if they do not offer them.

It looks like a very amazing printer out of the box, and for a person that has no desire to touch internals or firmware, this is a no brainer. I feel like all other products are just not this out of the box friendly, and probably the main reason it should be compared to a Prusa is they also offer a fully assembled printer. I am not really sure why people are not comparing them to Ulitmakers (which in comparison are looking a bit too maker-ish) and other companies that are marketing them as professional tools. The Bambu also has that look that sits well in a professional environment.

I understand makers being weird about them but I am very confident most large companies that need to print things will be getting bambooā€™s knocking the ulimakers out of the running. I am sure there is very little interest from large companies for them to pay ā€œskilledā€ employee the time to service the machine, the cost of rails and a few hours pay they will just buy another one and maybe maybe keep it around for spare parts. Time is money in that environment. At my previous job I frequently visted other engineering related companies and almost every single one of them had a ultimaker around somewhere, even an injection molding facility, CEO had it in his office.

A dual extrusion Ultimaker S7, UltiMaker S7 3D Printer | MatterHackers, is $8,299 dollars and it is not even close in terms of performance, makerbot $4,500 The MakerBot METHOD Platform - 3D Printers with Limitless Possibilities, Bamboo with capabilities far exceeding that, $1,500, Bambu Lab X1-Carbon Combo 3D Printer | Bambu Lab US I think that is the real comparison.

4 Likes

I just think we are in for an interesting few years.

Now hereā€™s the Hijack

I am working on a project (hypothetical at this stage). I donā€™t think that printing is the answer for it, but thatā€™s what experiments are about. With a 280mm dimension in one direction, I can print it in six pieces at around 10 hours each with a 6mm nozzle. I would think something like a third of that time with a core xy or maybe the Mk4 if it delivers what is hoped.

It would of course be great to get it all in one piece. I was truly stunned to find the price of a Voron kit (with hot end and extruder and printed parts) was similar to a Prusa XL, and no, Iā€™m not going to hotrod the CR10! :smiley:

Is the XL some kind of elephant in the room or is there a Bambu XL waiting to be unleashed?

Interesting, i do believe i did see a youtube about serviceability now that you mention it. the rods must be the carbon fiber one, right?

Definitely. I think it hits a very odd spot it is a great priced pro grade. I am sure they will make another and start increasing the prices, now that they have a nameā€¦or we get to see them keep driving prices down. That would knock out some of the completion completely. If it is anything, like the quadcopters/drones they are king of the filming hill when that hill used to be ruled by custom DIY builds. Now my realtor buddy flies his own property shotsā€¦actually same guy asked about printing a helmet after watching Uncle Jesse.

Yeah I guess they are glued in, instead of some clamp or screws, so it has to be replaced.

How many people here have a Bambu I count 3 including myself

2 Likes

I just cleaned mine the other day spray with isopropyl and wipe clean pretty easy 4months of printing used most days no decernable wear

1 Like

Is this really the right comparison?

Apart from the SawStop folks, how much has table saw technology changed in the last several decades? The table saw I use (Rigid, and has been super-solid for meā€¦nothing fancy but does the job) is not fundamentally different from the Delta I had in my shop back in my theatre days in the early 90s.

I would LOVE for 3D printers to be in the same class as my other shop tools in terms of being essentially commodity technology, but I donā€™t think weā€™re even close to that yet. Bambu, one could argue, is the closest from a polished engineering and design standpoint, but I would not wager a penny that the X1 will be supported or usable 20-30 years from now.

I am cheap across the board, but I donā€™t generally buy the cheap shop tools at Harbor Freight, precisely because I know I want to use them for years and years, and perhaps some day pass them on to my sons.

My expectations for PCs, phones, and especially printers are a little more measured in terms of lifespan. If I get 5 years from a printer, Iā€™ll consider that a good run.

In fairness, though, my current Octoprint device is a 10 year-old OG Surface Pro running Ubuntu, so I suppose I do manage to get a good lifespan from some of my electronics. :laughing:

I do think your overall point is a good oneā€¦sometimes we can focus too much on price, and not enough on how much value we get from something, particularly in comparison to things we spend more on.

1 Like

A few of the guys on my printerā€™s discord have them. For the most part they really like them. I think for the most part the only thing they donā€™t like is the spool size issue with the AMS, and the kinda closed nature of everything. They say for a pull it out of the box and start printing kind of printer, no other is even close. Weā€™re starting to see third party parts for them now too.

Thatā€™s good to know, because apart from the price, the main thing that would push me away from Bambu and more towards Prusa is the combination of parts and community strength. Though I donā€™t own a Prusa, I think thereā€™s little question they have an incredibly strong community. Much like the Ender 3, if you need to figure something out with a Prusa, it wonā€™t be hard to find the info, and/or the parts.

With any newcomer to the printer market (Anker also comes to mind here), you have to wonder whether itā€™s a market theyā€™ll stick with, and what happens if they decide to bow out, or worse, go out of business. Thatā€™s where an open source design helps a lot, IMO, particularly on the software side. Closed firmware and slicer software doesnā€™t leave many options if the company goes out of business.

Other companies providing parts helps on the hardware side, for sure, though.

Thinking about this I have five unopened boxes of filament at the moment, and twenty in various stages of use. I only use the good stuff because life is too short for cheap filament, so thatā€™s $750 US give or take in consumables on hand (the real cost is 50% more because of freight).

It makes the cost of the hardware trivial.