Axis stuttering during travel

Ryan,

I was reading elsewhere in the forums about tensioning issues, and I was wondering something. On the end of the belt with the tensioner zip tie, how long should that zip tie be?

I know that they are a source of flex in the belts. Once fastened, mine are currently about 2 inches long from the back of the corner block to where it passes through the belt.

Took some pictures of the belts and the steppers that are causing the trouble.

When I was taking pictures tonight, I noticed that the rollers are loose again. Something his definitely up with the x-axis. I might have to reprint the parts and see if that makes a difference.

Just checking, is there any chance you forgot to install the corner spacers?

If the corner spacers are left out, then the vertical distance will be wrong between your gantry rails, and the center assembly will bind because it wants the gantry rails to be a certain distance vertically from each other.

The corner spacer is the blue piece in this picture:

2 Likes

https://docs.v1engineering.com/mpcnc/belts/

Although this is definitely not your issue.

I am guessing here but I think the problem may be the wires that you are dragging. In the past my wires in a tape measure sleeve caused problems at a few points along the way. Try doing your full movement back and forth while you hold the wires. See if the stuttering goes away.

2 Likes

Jamie, the spacers are there. Have been since I originally assembled everything a couple months ago.

I’m printing out new roller pieces for the X-axis. After they are done, I’ll pull the machine apart and replace them to see if that resolves the issue.