Autosquaring with EstlCAM

I am really happy with EstlCAM, but since you seem to be pretty active today here @christian-knuell, I’d like to ask: are there any plans to add autosquaring to Estlcam itself? It does work with the Open CNC Shield 2 for now, but it’s not the most elegant solution. I have got no experience in programming, so I don’t know, but is it so much of a problem to poll 5 instead of 3 drivers?

Hello,

it is on the ToDo list - but in the long term section.
Too many other things to do before - sorry.

And: it would only make sense with new hardware which would most likely be “Estlcam only” and hard to get outside Germany.
Not because of any malicious intent but the hardware platforms other control software like GRBL or Ramps use today have become far too fragmented for a one man show like me to keep supported.

It was fine when both Estlcam as well as GRBL were initially developed for the Arduino UNO and all I needed to do were some pin and port changes. But nowadays there are literally hundreds of different boards using at least 12 different processor architectures when I last counted. I can’t keep up with that and so any future hardware additions will most likely be my own, proprietary designs.

Christian

2 Likes

Thanks, this sounds better than a “no”. :smile:
And this is interesting. The Open CNC Shield still runs on the Arduino Mega, the Autosquaring is done by an ESP. Mega only would be my preferred solution. This wouldn’t be supported any more either? :sweat: Nevertheless, it sounds interesting.

The mega (and all other “old” hardware options) will be kept supported - but I won’t add new features to it.

1 Like

That’s good, so I can keep using it until it breaks. :smile: Thanks for taking your time.
If you create completely new hardware, a wireless option would be great for sending commands, which would lead me to buy it immediately.
Estlcam as a controller including Autosquaring and WiFi would be brilliant.

Why is it so hard/expensive to get Estlcam hardware outside of Germany?, DHL Päckchen XS International (Päckchen international | DHL) makes it look easy and relatively inexpensive (11.99 EUR VS Rocketronics 49,90 EUR).

Bureaucracy…

Sounds like you need to become a Jackpot distributor for the EU. :grin:

First of all, Hello and thank you for your work, I am in love with Estlcam and when my CNC is ready, buy the license.

Is it possible to buy for Spain?

You should check this one, postage to Spain should be doable. :slight_smile:

As long as it supports “Autosquareing” in Estl cam, it’s fine for me xDD

It won’t support auto-squaring, but Rocketronics will ship the Estlcam board (Estlcam terminal adapter CNC Controller for mills) most places. Shipping to the US costs more than the board (49,90 EUR) - why I use a Nano/shield instead, to Spain looks reasonable (16,84 EUR). Estlcam license keys (Estlcam: 2D / 3D CAM und CNC Steuerung...) are 49 EUR.

Thank you!
You mention that it is not compatible with “auto-squaring”, but. That’s the original from Estlcam, right?
From what I have read, “auto-squaring” is done by the software, and according to Christian, only “his board” supports it, which if I’m not mistaken is the same one you propose.

And no, it is not a bad option for the price and shipping, it is a very good option.

Estlcam can not do Autosquaring by itself, none of the boards can do it. Only with the Open CNC Shield 2 it can, it’s got an ESP 32 doing that task before Estlcam is even started.

1 Like

open cnc shield one can also do it. It needs an extra arduino mini mega though

2 Likes

Thanks, I think I understand everything now or “almost” everything…
With the “Open CNC Shield 2” plate I can make Autosquare
And program estlcam on that same board to be able to control it with estlcam?

I guess all that information is in this same forum, right?
If you can’t put links here, would you provide me with the information privately so I can both investigate?
thanks anyway

OPEN-CNC-Shield EN - Timos Werkstatt open cnc-shield 1

Mainboard | CNC Docs | Wissenssammlung open cnc-shield 2 (german)

2 Likes