Authenticating on cnc.js after installing cnc.js

@jeffeb3 I know it’s been a long time but life intervened. I moved two years ago to a new place and dismantled my workshop.

I’m trying to set it up again and decided just to get a new rpi4B and do a scratch install. I’ve tried to follow the install instructions on cncjs.org and am getting a login screen. I allowed remote login and I get a nice authentication screen. but then I can’t figure out what user and password to us.

I have tried to disable authentication in the config file as suggested in the documentation, but that doesn’t work.

The whole node.js and nvm and npm is somewhat unfamiliar with someone used to just using apt-get and such. A bit a familiarity with cloning with git and installing things, but I am so out of practice with my linux chops. Sorry again.

I’m stuck here. Sorry to start out as a seeming noob in this but @jeffeb3 's image seems not to be updated and I don’t need to octoprint part, just want to control the MPCNC from the familiar interface I was used to.

I really regret not participating in the forum for so long. It was a blast and I love my machine and I do want to get it working again. Any suggestions. Thanks so much.

I have all my lasers and 3D printers working again and have kept up a bit with Octoprint and FDM printing but I just didn’t have space in my new house for the MPCNC. Now I have Starlink at my farm and am clearing space in the shop to get it moving again.

I’m glad to see things are still moving along here and maybe I will take the leap and build a Primo

2 Likes

Hey Marion, welcome back! We are still alive and kicking here. Plenty of laser fun the last few years, I’m sure you’ll find some interesting threads here.

I’m not sure about v1pi. At the moment I’m using an old laptop with cncjs, works well for me. Maybe you can set up the rpi with a headless server that you ssh into, and run cncjs from that?

1 Like

That’s what I am doing. Although I have a rpi 4b and a monitor hooked up. I used the installed OS NOOBS and decided to try and install cnc.js on my own by itself. I’ve lost a lot of my Linux chops this past year. My first year into my new home I spent a lot of time on installing Home Assistant and automating things around my house, lights, the garage door opener, door way monitors, motion sensors, temp and humidity sensors. That satisfied my tech urges fairly well.

I set free my MPCNC from all its zip ties and tape that is holding it together on the board and keeping the cables tight and from flopping around. It’s all coming back to me. Now I just need to find the 24 volt power supply that I used for the Archim board. I have been using most of my electronics stuff for a Home Assistant installation. I don’t think I repurposed anything for some LED control. I’m sure I’ll find it but I still have stuff packed up from the move two years ago.

Boy, I had some fun with this machine. I hope I can get it operational again. I have a few projects I’d like to use it for.

1 Like

The default pi image doesn’t have an ssh password. If it does, it is raspberry.

Or are you looking for the password on cncjs?

I;m looking for some password for cncjs. Yes. There is an authentication screen for cncjs that pops up when I connect to the URL. I have it set up to do local and remote connections. I changed the default password for the raspberrypi when I first set it up.

I’ve followed the help in the FAQs that disables authentication, but that seemed not to do anything. I may not have it in the right config file and entered correctly.

Now I broke cncjs getting lost in this morass of node issues, especially in the right gcc libraries and the right versions of some libraries. It’s set up on the project site like it’s easy to do. I may just start from a scratch install of some other distro. But Noobs is listed as a choice for OSs.

I’ll figure it out. It’s just been so long and I’m rusty with this stuff.

Ok. I just took some old iron and put Ubuntu on it. Added node and then installed Cncjs using Audi and the image-perm option. Went to local host:8000 and the workspace loaded right away with no authentication. So I’ll just use this old HP as the cncjs server. Takes up more space but I’d rather use the RPi for something else than leaving it mostly unused at the farm. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Maybe I should take the time to updgrase to a Primo. I am so far behind on the forum but it’s great to see so much still going on.

1 Like

It works. Making some chips tomorrow! It’s nice to be back.

Man. There is so much I have forgotten. It’s been over two years.

4 Likes

No chips but I did get the Z probe working. It had gotten unplugged inside the controller.

I have Starlink internet. I have a wired computer instead of a RaspberryPi doing the serving of the files and the control. Starlink doesn’t come with an ethernet port. So I ordered an ethernet port for my Starlink router so I can access Onshape where I do my design work. And Estlcam is only Windows so I’m going to use Kiri:Moto for my CAM production. So close, but needing the network working.

But I got the table halfway reassembled. I need help putting the bed base on the legs. It’s a torsion box.

So i installed a sink that I scrounged from a kitchen model. Has a beautiful Delta spray faucet but the special PEX termintor for the supply line is missing on one of them. Arg. Can’t find a replacement easily.

Always one part away from getting something done the day I want to do it!

1 Like