Ask AI

Our students have a type of task that is called “Mediation”. They get a German text and have to write a letter, an e-mail, a brochure entry etc. in English. It’s kind of a summary of a German text in English, but you have to also explain phenomena that are unique to your region. For instance, I would have to explain to the recipient of the letter what a “Kohlfahrt” is and why kale is not a sad vegetable but the pinnacle of human achievement, combined with potatoes and at least 2 kinds of meat and 2 kinds of sausage. :smiley:

That’s something the AI can’t do at this point. Everything else is hard to spot, as I said above. It gets easier the longer you know the students though because they all have their special quirks when writing (always using the gerund, using a certain word very often etc.). That’s how I think I might be able to spot the AI.

5 Likes

Okay, now this is getting scary:

3 Likes

Someone hire that kid! They might not be an English major, but they definitely have a knack for tech.

I wonder if this is how teachers felt when graphing calculators came out, or word processors.

2 Likes

I guess so since the text is German. :joy:

1 Like

Oh well. That’s only an average German student then.

1 Like

I wish. -_- The last vocabulary test I had them write in grade 6 was on average below the passing grade… just learn the damn English words…

The last step is to trace your own handwriting so the machine can complete the illusion that you had written the material by hand.

The best I can do is trace it manually but perhaps soon the machines will be able to take samples and generate matching handwriting automatically.

4 Likes

Why should I make a machine write something nobody can read. If I learn a machine how to write, i’d better learn it to write readable… (something like doctor’s handwriting…)

2 Likes

Desktop calculators had barely been invented when I was at school, hand helds were certainly not available to mere mortals until well after then and the HP-35 wasn’t produced until I’d finished university. Small hand-held calculators were available by then, but their use was completely banned!

Slide rules and log tables for this little black duck - for us AI was when the blondes in the class dyed their hair! (I apologise profusely to all of the blondes reading this - those were different times.) :smiley:

It’s surprising to look back and wonder how we did things without the internet to ask.

3 Likes

My YouTube statistics say that 0% of my viewers are female, even my female friend couldn’t save it with her one view. I told her she was statistically insignificant. :sweat_smile: I think the same might apply to this forum. And I am a hundred percent sure any of us have at some time told that exact same joke. :sweat_smile:

We got internet when I was 16, dial up, got dropped from every StarCraft match. Ugh. And there was no possibility at all to look at so many pictures of cute cats. :yum:

1 Like

and to add a bit of 2023 PC here - I didn’t mention gender! :rofl: :rofl: :thinking:

but I DO know what you mean!

1 Like

:sweat_smile:

From my understanding of the joke that was implied. Cough. It’s from a different time, to be sure…

1 Like

Me too. Same.

Microsoft has (or at least had) a font generator available. Little boxes you write each of the letters and symbols in. Called mine “chicken scratch” or something like that.
Some of my professors liked to say “you can use notes as long as they are hand written”, lol. They always saw me writing notes on my tablet with a stylus, so when i copy/pasted important passages, changed the font to chicken scratch, and shrunk it down to 6point to print, nobody batted an eye.

1 Like

My wife had to explain that joke to her step-mom, who was a blonde… :rofl: