Ask AI

How do we know that this sentence is not fake? :thinking:

5 Likes

We have got a similar problem at school now, the text generating AIs have gotten so good that it is really hard to determine whether a student really wrote the homework or an AI.

If you have known the student for a while it is easier to figure out and obviously it does not help them for tests, but for homework… It’s going to be interesting. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

The above is a deep, deep fake.

1 Like

This is absolutely hilarious.

2 Likes

There will be a point when there will be chatgpt (or some newer thing) plugin to discourse (or some newer thing).

Things like graphing calculators and Wolfram alpha are similarly powerful tools. If kids use them to do their homework, the teachers would not know. But they still find a way to teach kids math and engineers are useful fresh out of college. I’m not too worried about schools, but there will need to be some new curriculum. Maybe english tests will be a chatGPT first draft, and the students have to edit it and make it better.

1 Like
1 Like

Yeah kids cheating in school using AI… a big step towards Terminator dystopia. We can’t let the machines become smarter, lol.

1 Like

This is the future for a lot of people, anyway. Like chess masters using computers to help analyze gashes and tough positions, but using their brains to decide how to actually play it.

Hmmm…
Problem:

Solution:

It did not use the term grub screws.
Yet…

There.
Fixed.

1 Like

Dang

2 Likes

It sounds like someone tried it, and it was not well received.

Someone was asking it very technical questions at work. The results were that when it was talking about something we understood, it was clearly wrong (but confident). The stuff we didn’t know about, we weren’t sure. But that’s not good for statistics.

2 Likes

Yeah, stack overflow is apparently suffering similar problems, with a similar response.

I have experimented with this at work to see what it can and can’t do, and (so far) there is no substitute for expertise. Even so, I am optimistic that for some grunt work it could be as good as an inexperienced intern, where the output is closely supervised and edited by an experienced developer. I’m hoping to start trying to take advantage of this soon.

3 Likes

I hate writing proposals and stuff like that. It would be nice if it could make a good first draft from an outline, and I could just edit it for correctness. I haven’t tried, but I don’t think it is there yet (from what my coworkers are telling me). I haven’t been tasked for a proposal recently, so I don’t know.

2 Likes

My concern is that everything we read will end up with the same vanilla flavour and that will be the foundation of our new language, bereft of nuance and with a complete absence of words like “bereft” and “nuance”. It’s a lot more difficult than it sounds to edit someone else’s work and get a consistent style.

On another thread @Tokoloshe Phillip mentioned the impact of cultural nuance (there I’ve said it again for old time’s sake), when translating (although that’s not actually way he said, as if to reinforce his point :rofl:), and I have a little experience with that as it happens, in the translation of proposals from another language back to English in particular industry context.

It’s astonishingly difficult as an amateur translator to take a sentence or often an entire document which is understandable but “not the way we say it” and express what is being said in a way that we would.

Laziness will prevail I am sure, and we will all end up speaking “machine gibberish”!

4 Likes

Our students have a type of task that is called “Mediation”. They get a German text and have to write a letter, an e-mail, a brochure entry etc. in English. It’s kind of a summary of a German text in English, but you have to also explain phenomena that are unique to your region. For instance, I would have to explain to the recipient of the letter what a “Kohlfahrt” is and why kale is not a sad vegetable but the pinnacle of human achievement, combined with potatoes and at least 2 kinds of meat and 2 kinds of sausage. :smiley:

That’s something the AI can’t do at this point. Everything else is hard to spot, as I said above. It gets easier the longer you know the students though because they all have their special quirks when writing (always using the gerund, using a certain word very often etc.). That’s how I think I might be able to spot the AI.

5 Likes

Okay, now this is getting scary:

3 Likes

Someone hire that kid! They might not be an English major, but they definitely have a knack for tech.

I wonder if this is how teachers felt when graphing calculators came out, or word processors.

2 Likes

I guess so since the text is German. :joy:

1 Like

Oh well. That’s only an average German student then.

1 Like

I wish. -_- The last vocabulary test I had them write in grade 6 was on average below the passing grade… just learn the damn English words…