ASA Print Settings

Last of the orange parts (I think) were done this morning so switching to grey. Man its so crazy with these accelerations turned up how fast I can print a temp tower and already on to the flow calibration cube. That alone is usually a 20min print on any of my creality printers. 4 min 32 sec on the V4… That’s just insane to me. Also the Polymaker Grey ASA likes to be a touch hotter than the orange. Setting this one at 255°c

1 Like

And this is why, in 4 years of 3D printing with my Ender 3 Pro, I have never printed a benchy…

3 Likes

Once I get done with all these ASA parts I’m going to have to throw some PLA back in and turn it to 11 and see how fast I can print one. I know I wont be super fast but I think the only ones I’ve ever printed were in the 2-3 hr. range. Pretty sure I can be around the 30 min mark with the amount of flow I have lol. Gotta have those SUPER high accelerations to get in to the 10 min area lol

Man this thing is printing GOOD! Did Teaching Techs flow calibration cube, I like that better than orca slicers flow test. Printed the cube with a .6 single wall. 3 walls measured .59 and the 4th .6 for an average of .5925. So the settings from Orange are real close to the grey, which I expected. Running pressure advance test now

1 Like

Those print settings look right to me. ASA is good stuff. But I have used Polymaker and 3DXTech and they both have an odor where I don’t smell anything with ABS. Not sure why that is. Also found that my ASA was starting to burn at 300° where ABS just kept flowing no problem.

Man that’s HOT. Curious why you were trying to print it that hot?

I’ve looked at carbon filters, building them for the printer and the laser enclosure, but the problem is that they are a not inexpensive consumable. My respirator gets occasional use with the chemical fitlers, so I can pack the filters away in an airtight container and extend the use by years.

That’s not going to happen with the printer and laser, so realistically, exhausting to the outside is the safest option for me at least…

Yep. Gas mask was a bit of joke, but definitely if ASA/ABS is being printed often, best bet is to evacuate the fumes

I don’t smell anything in this room, but when I open that chamber to take a print off the bed I can sure smell it then. So its doing a good job holding it in lol. I do vent the space really well when I do that also

1 Like

What are you thinking about hotend and/or extruder combo?

I went with the Orbiter V2 and a Rapido HF

I just got the case all emptied and cleaned up, man was it dirty lol. Hasn’t been moved in a few years. Will be starting the build thread soon, Just wanted to get a few things done first so its not a boring start LOL

Looking forward to your build thread, I have started a lot of projects and I need to finish some of them before I start something new.

LOL don’t tell my wife that. I’m the king of getting Almost done but never actually finishing anything LOL

I built one of those sporty K3s with a 0.6 nozzle attached. Gotta bump up temps quite a bit with that pair.