Are those XZ plates salvagable?

I love it. That would have stopped me from just blindly sending the file without putting those instructions in.

1 Like

So just an update. I opted to counter sink the other side of the plate. It actually worked out every well. I used counter sink screws and that forced everything to be centered. So maybe on V4 those should come countersunk :slightly_smiling_face: Since this is a 1/4 plate there is plenty of meat left to keep everything rigid.

On a side note, on my YZ plates I used M3x20 screws and put nuts on the back. I also threaded the holes with an M3 tap. I am known for over kill. I thought it looked cool and those rails aint gonna budge. Thought I would share.

5 Likes

You could also check the forums there is plenty of info there
Just saying

You could also read up and see that the problem was solved :slight_smile:

Thanks for making this clear Ryan, I was wondering about the rights and wrongs of getting a set made myself so I appreciate the clarification that sending your DXF files out to a shop to get made is a breach of the licence they are released under. :+1:

itā€™s actually not unless the shop sells them to users other than the requestor for a profit.

The shop using the file to a make a set of plates to sell to you is a breach of the non commercial licence. Thatā€™s my interpretation of what the person who shared the files is saying.

1 Like

The basic idea is you can make them yourself, or buy them from me. If money is moving any other way that is a bummer. So I do not agree with your statement.

5 Likes

To clarify, as this topic can get complicated really quickly.

If a shop takes a CC-NC design and makes it an sells it to you (by request or otherwise) itā€™s similar to a printshop printing a pdf of a copyrighted book.

Itā€™s exactly what @vicious1 (the licensor) said, the Licensor is the only one able to make money in any way with the licensed work (the design).

Iā€™m not sure if the person at fault is the requestor or the shop, If you didnā€™t specify the file you provided is licensed and you knew the work was licensed then Itā€™s probably you.

These are the sources Iā€™ve consulted on this:
https://creativecommons.org/faq/#does-my-use-violate-the-noncommercial-clause-of-the-licenses
https://wiki.creativecommons.org/wiki/NonCommercial_interpretation
https://wiki.creativecommons.org/wiki/Defining_Noncommercial

1 Like

Yes, about this topic i was hearing yesterday from a youtuberā€¦ Open source isnā€™t just as open, but also not a sustainable way.
This exact thing happens with Openbuilds designs of the workbee/sphinx/ox cnc. You can see various plates made by wome Chinese companies that are just copying the originals v1-v2 and v.2.1 designs. They dont release the drawings for the v3 plate set for obvious reasons. (Nothing stops those companies from buying a set and just making the copies but its at least something!!!)
Donā€™t get me wrong. Ryan have a point (and a pair of XZ plates in aluminum is really cheap from the shop) i wish he could sell some YZ in aluminum too