Archim 1.0a Stepper Not Moving

This is my first post… So please go easy on me if I do not provide enough, too much, or the correct information needed to help with my issue. We are working to create a LowRider2 CNC and to that end we purchased a LowRider2 CNC Bundle with the Archim 1.0a controller board from V1Eng. At the time of order we did not select the Display Option because we already had one. We wanted to make sure the configuration worked before we assemble the LowRider2. To this end we have attached only the basic components to the Archim 1.0a board. (i.e. power, three stepper motors (X, Y, Z), the display, and the USB cable.

Following the V1Eng example the board I downloaded the Repetier-Host Software and used the Manual Control mode to move the stepper motors. And as expected the motors moved just fine (as I would expect with programmed and tested hardware). However, my display did not light up. I assumed the code flashed in the board was not configured for the display (i.e. since I did not purchase it with my kit). So I started down the road to programming the board. I have used many different development environment to compile and load code for other boards so I thought it would not be that big of and issue. The Archim code uses the VSCode with PlatformIO. This in itself was/should not be an issue but my experience has been that setting up a new development environment is always tricky and small things that you think should not be an issue can be big problems later.

I followed Ryan’s instructions for downloading and installing VSCode and PlatformIO. Went onto the Git repository and selected “V1CNC_Archim1” branch (after reading some other posts that said that was the safest(i.e. should work branch)). Then I followed the remainder of instructions and compiled and loaded the code. (i.e. no changes at all). The good news here is that the display light up and shows the menus. The bad news is that now only the X stepper motor is controllable. (i.e. from the embedded display or the Repetier-Host program)

I noticed that there were a few warnings (see photo). This would be my first guess. Since I currently do not know much about this hardware platform or the code base, I thought I would post here and see if anybody else has seen this and knows what would be the best (i.e. simplest fix) for this issue.

Now for my question… What can I do to correct this?

Other information…

1. The version of the code reported on the display is “426 2.0.5.3”
  2. After controlling the X stepper, it generates a high pitch whine.
  3. When controlling Y stepper, it flinches but does not actually change position.
  4. Attempts to control the Z stepper do not cause any observable actions.
  5. The Version of VSCode is “Version: 1.45.1 (user setup)
    Commit: 5763d909d5f12fe19f215cbfdd29a91c0fa9208a
    Date: 2020-05-14T08:27:35.169Z
    Electron: 7.2.4
    Chrome: 78.0.3904.130
    Node.js: 12.8.1
    V8: 7.8.279.23-electron.0

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CompilerBuildLog.zip (5.2 KB)

Sorry , you have to flash the archim with arduino.ide, Currently Ultimachine has not pushed the fix to platform.io yet.

I installed the Arduino IDE v1.8.12 per your instructions (i.e. How to flash firmware on the archim). Pressed the verify button, check mark, and then the upload button, arrow. The IDE reports the following…
Arduino: 1.8.12 (Windows 10), Board: “Archim”

Sketch uses 217940 bytes (41%) of program storage space. Maximum is 524288 bytes.
Atmel SMART device 0x285e0a60 found
Flash page is locked
Erase flash
An error occurred while uploading the sketch

Any suggestions?

What I have found is that with Arduino IDE you have to erase the firmware first: hold the erase and reset button on the board.

Thanks. That worked the board loaded just fine and is working as expected. I was just concerned about pressing the “Erase” button for fear that it might turn the board into a paperweight.

1 Like

It will, until you flash new firmware. I am not sure why it requires this. I don’t recall Platform.io having any issues flashing without erasing, but as you experienced, the motors won’t move. (I had this same problem too, see: Flashing the Archim1? - #39 by thedevilsjester)