Anyone have a final word on PLA vs PETG?

I think I’ve changed with creeping old age. :scream: I used to lean towards overkill, things like Grade 8 hardware in non-structural places where ungraded hardware store stuff would do. While the ‘trick’ stuff was nice, it accomplished little but using up $$$. I still like the Unbrako stuff when needed but can appreciate the perverse pleasure in making the cheap stuff do the job.

I guess I believe in the old adage: Go First Class or go Third Class, but never, ever go Second Class. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I understand, I have always been a “work with what you have” kind of guy. I have pla so that’s what I printed with. Unless I need to buy somthing I make do with what I have. When I need to buy somthing it usually comes down to convenience. I buy pla because I can buy it from anywhere (usually on sale) and without any hassle. I buy my bolts from Grainger because I can buy a discontinued bag off 100 for $2 and not worry about having enough. Pluss it’s on my way to work so easy to pick up… I guess I’m just lazy in the busiest way lol.

2 Likes

I’m new so don’t really have any experience with any of this. I can say that I’ve printed some with PLA and some with some PLA+ that I bought by mistake. The PLA+ seems to be much nicer.

Now I know there is no standard for PLA+ so maybe I just got lucky. But given the choice right now I think I’ll use the PLA+.

Hey all, thanks for the great feedback. I can’t believe this got 43 replies, you all are a great community!

Just as a follow up, I’m starting this week to print out my parts (in PLA) and going to start a build log soon. I plan to keep my promise to follow up on this but my current thought after reading everyone is the slight give/bend that PETG has makes it less than ideal.

Now to just decided if I’m going to spring for the duel endstops (To duel endstop or not to duel endstop?)

I’m interested in this as I can’t print my lowrider in PLA - it must be located in my unconditioned garage, which easily exceeds PLA-HT temps :frowning:

I am leaning toward ASA. PolyMaker (one of the many reputable filament vendors) has good datasheets, and their ASA has a ~50% higher Young’s and bending modulus then their PETG.

Nylon, especially CF impregnated, can be had at 2-3x the Young’s of PLA … but even CF would suffer from creep, at least as I understand it.

PC, especially PC-CF, also seems very interesting here; it’s as bad as ASA/ABS to print, and has similar properties, but isn’t as resistant to lubricants. On a wood mill I assume those are minimal, but still for shop equip that’s not great.

There is at least one source of Carbon-fiber ASA I"m aware of from a known/reputable vendor (atomicfilments); I"ve reached out for a datasheet.

(edit: I can’t include links?)

I think @vicious1 has been doing some testing with PET-CF and had really good results