Annex Engineering K3

Yup. Cooling is definitely the bottleneck on the machine. They have a new cooler in beta called the Frostbite they are working that is supposed to remedy that. Not on my machine though.

I’d say it is not a PLA friendly machine since it needs so much cooling. ABS, ASA, PC, PA are the types of material that this is designed for.

2 Likes

Where did you here about that? I am not finding much other than the store and their reddit, which does not have much info.

1 Like

They have a Git for all their projects. Community is on discord.

The only reason I knew about them was because they came up with the “speed Benchy” challenge that was a popular thing on Youtube for a while.

2 Likes

And CHT knockoffs are now available on Ali for a couple bucks as well. If you run input shaper etc then honestly weight on toolhead is not a big issue unless its extreme.

The K3 is one heck of a machine.

Annex panel clups are amazing as well i have them in my Vorons and love them

The clips are very nice now that you mention it. There’s lots of things they designed on this that you don’t realize how clever they are until you install them.

My favorite general purpose part they designed so far is the 3 part raceways used for cable management in the rear box.

Everything goes together with a satisfying “click” !

1 Like

Someone order a boat?

ABS
0.4 nozzle
0.2 mm layer height
3 perimeters, 3 top solid, 3 bottom solid
5 sec min layer time

As @vicious1 pointed out, min layer times tanked the overall speed on this single, smaller model. Had to have some time for the ABS to cool or it’d curl right up.

Also had to knock the print speed down to 250mm/s. Was getting small, random layer shifts. Could be my motor current…I hope.

Over 25min of print time but we can only get faster from here. @MattMed it’s hard to tell but the tight edges are pretty crisp. Just the ghosting afterwards is pretty heavy. Most if not all the print defects seem to be related to resonance and the inconsistent speed.

3 Likes

Wow, it really is an impressive machine. Everything from the print speed to the end of print nozzle cleaning process. Really nice. There’s not a whole lot you can do about min layer times, the plastic has to cool. But I am sure you can knock another couple minutes off playing around with it.

Interesting finding.

After getting the machine running better (higher X/Y current, deracking gantry) I ran some test parts to figure out the ringing problem. The left part is the print at 14k acceleration about where I was printing at before. Really ringy. Middle part was at 22k. Ringing is substantially reduced? Right is 22k with input shaper calibrated. Ringing almost completely eliminated. All parts printed with the same gcode at 250mm/s.

I would have never thought increasing acceleration would reduce ringing. Must be the 14-16k accel range produced some extra vibrations?

5 Likes

Resonance is super fascinating, and difficult to plan for!

Amazing project you’ve got there👌

2 Likes

Thanks! Yeah it’s very interesting. Challenged my assumption that slower speeds equal better prints. Not quite that simple it seems.

1 Like

Now that I got it working, testing out resonances with the Annex Crampon. A Klipper MCU with an ADXL345 installed that mounts in the hotend. ADXL is positioned right where the nozzle tip is for better accuracy.

3 Likes

I uploaded an easier to watch video of the printer in operation today. Have a look!

1 Like

That is insane.

1 Like

I want one

I want to print that fast…

Curious: Why didn’t you use the quiet stepper drivers?

So did you build that printer yourself? I just went to annex engineering and only see a few parts: https://store.annex.engineering/

IF so, where did you get the build plans/bom, etc?

darn it, so many times I need to read before I post, looks like it is github, sorry!

Yeah Github. There are no build plans. You have to reference the CAD file they provide and ask questions on their Discord server. Fabreeko started to offer a presourced kit recently. Their parts are quite good.

They actually are silent TMC2209 drivers. Stealth chop is disabled for performance reasons. Need 2209s for sensorless homing. Also there are 6 linear rails and 4 steppers on the X/Y gantry alone. That and the speed adds to the noise. This is not a machine you want sitting on your desk next to you!

Sounds cool though. Amazing how fast it is. How much $$ are you into it?

Roughly $1500 USD but I sourced everything from US vendors and companies. If you source from AliExpress and/or purchase a Fabreeko kit you could probably do it for a few hundred cheaper.

1 Like