Alternative air source - BLDC motor

Came across a video by “Great Scott”, who tests stuff from AliExpress. He tried out a motor supposedly used in hair driers. I wonder if it could be used as a source of air for the laser?! I wonder what happens if using a funnel to narrow the airflow into a thinner hose, I don’t know if the motor will take it. If not it might be possible to mount it outside of the laser, rather than letting the air flow through the lens area…

2 Likes

@turbinbjorn hello
As i have been working on the same thing , here is my findings in regards to an air plast for (Cnc) and air assiste for laser head .
Current setup : , Mpcnc with 500w spindle, tinybee for stepper Motors and fluidnc and 12v 20amp smps and a 48v 20amp smps with a pwm speed regulator for controlling the spindle , as for an air source as this duct turbine rc motors generates a decent amount of air but its not consistent or enough pressure to travel throug the air tubing as air plast or air assiste, pluse the noise, this small ducts is noise as hell , i have also tested 30l air pumps a.k.a aquarium pumps with a very modest air pressure for air assiste but definitely not as air plast for cnc ,
Another great solution is a (oil less silent compressor) its also could medical air compressor (like the ones used in dental clinics) its have a powerful 30psi at 8 bar air pressure with no noticeable noise around 44 to 48 and can work for extended jops time and paird with a 12v or 24 v solenoid valve that is wired to one of the mosfits of the board it can run with gcode or with fluidnc web ui , this compressor come in 15l,30l,50, and 100l capacity , i got a 30l and 12v solenoid valve and also an pressure limit valve as to tune down the air pressure to work as air plast or air assiste when i hockup my 80w neje laser, i well probably have a video with the setup and test my be next month as soon as my laser module arrives

How expencive is the dental punp and where could i source one? It sounds like what im wanting now if a silent vacuum pump was avalable ornwould it work with the (vain vacuum) sensor moments here system where compressor used for vacuum systems.

Hello tim ,
You can search under ( oilless compressor, silent air compressor, medical air compressor) all this search terms well land you more than brands and different capacity
amazon:
Craftsman Air Compressor, 6 Gallon, Pancake …
Portable Air Compressor, Ultra Quiet, Only 60dB, 2 Gallon Steel Air Tank, Oil Free. .

Although i would really recommend sourcing your air compressor locally since the shipping duo to size will cost you a big number

1 Like