Aero Titan Thermistor Issue

So I’m in the final stages of building my MP3DP and it’s been a great learning experience that I’ve really enjoyed. However, I’m running into an issue with the Aero Titan hotend/extruder. Specifically, I’m having issue in setting and monitoring accurate temperatures. I’m thinking it may be an thermistor related because there are wild variations in temp when it’s wire is moved. I made sure it was seated properly in the block and zip tied the wires together to ensure it wasn’t moving, but it still seems to be having issues. Setting it to 195C appeared to work but then when I extruded some filament I saw bubbles and lots of stringing suggesting it’s much, much warmer than what it is reporting. At this point I’m not sure what else I can do here; I’m a noob on this part of 3D printing in that it’s a bit more nuts and bolts than I’m used to. Any help/advice would be appreciated.

Not sure of this will help, but I’m running a ramps board (one I bought and flashed myself following Ryan’s edits) along with a MK3 heated bed and aero titan, each I bought from Ryan’s shop.

I’d appreciate any assistance!

What firmware are you using and what thermistor do you have defined? If I remember correctly it should be #5 but that is covered in the instructions.

I’ve got temp_sensor_0 = 5, as per your comment and marlin version is 1.1.8.

So you have a bad connection? This needs to be fixed first, I missed this reading it initially. In the connector or your extension wires?

The issue looks to be on the cartridge end going into the block; moving the connector appears related to the temperature variations, moving the extension wire into the ramps doesn’t appear to produce any type of temperature variation. I’ve re-seated the the thermistor into the block and swapped out the molex extension cable from the thermistor cartridge into the board and made sure that the connection is secure, but it’s still showing the issues. At this point I’m not sure what more I can do; in a last ditch effort I went ahead and ordered a replacement e3d thermistor cartridge to see if that may resolve my issue.

I just replaced the one on my regular E3d. They go bad sometimes, mine would just quit working in the middle of a print.

Thanks, Barry, I’d read about that issue on a few forums last night; hopefully the new cartridge will resolve the issue, though mine was new out of box, which would be a pain. I’ll report back what I find out.

I always seat mine in some thermal paste, the same stuff I use on processors. It gives a much smoother reading.

Interesting, I’ll check that out; I’ve always got a few tubes on hand. Thanks!

The last time I tried that it smoked too much. Probably the cheap thermal paste, it’s whatever Apple sends with their replacement motherboards. The new e3d hot ends are pretty tight, so I never bother.

Just wanted to provide some follow up here on my issue and it looks like you were correct, Barry… just installed a new thermistor cartridge in my Titan Aero and the wild temperature fluctuations and printer halt issues caused by the hotend temperature jumping around seem to be resolved. Though, I’m going to hedge here and say this is only after a couple of hours, and there could certainly be something else involved, but this makes the most sense; I’ll post again if I see anything else.

Tha is for the help everyone!