Advent Advent

advent advent.sdf.zip (2.6 KB)
Hey everyone,
I haven’t posted in a while, but still do read a lot. I had recently broken my ZenXY (the “build plate” detached and I had to remount it).

I wanted to take the time to wish everyone in this community a nice “Adventszeit”, which is what we call the time before Christmas in Germany, when everyone gets all hyped up about the holidays.

I attached my SDF file (which is not allowed to be uploaded directly, that should definitely be changed please? :wink: ) and a picture :slight_smile:
Make sure if you modify or add trees, to draw them from the bottom up, that way the branches look like they are packed with snow :slight_smile:

Stay curious!
:slight_smile:

11 Likes

I hope you have a nice Adventszeit too!

Our family in the US gets advent calendars that give us a small token each day from Dec 1-Dec 24. We have chocolate ones and Lego makes a couple of fun ones.

I haven’t ever considered why they are called Advent Calendars. I don’t know if the word Advent is used in any other Christmas tradition in my family. I’m glad to know to know what Adventszeit is now.

1 Like

Nice. Thanks!

The word “advent” is derived from the Latin word adventus, meaning “coming,” which is a translation of the Greek word parousia. So, the time of the “coming” of the Christ child is the “season of His advent.” This then became a shorthand name for the season itself.

PS: I don’t know if the calendar people are super clever or not, but a calendar is all about events that are “coming” — and so a calendar about the Lord’s coming -and- also about a bunch of other coming things, is doubly a calendar about “coming.” LOL

2 Likes

The calendars were brought over from Germany to the US after WW2. If you want to read about it:

It goes into the history in the second part of the article.

4 Likes

I’m a little behind, but I really enjoy doing adventofcode.com each year.

We also have an escape room like advent calendar from EXIT. On paper, it is my 9yo’s, but he is losing interest.

1 Like