Acrylic plates

From what I can tell, the glass transition temp for extruded acrylic is right about 100C. My steppers are usually slightly warm to the touch, maybe 60C.
Anyone see any reason for concern? I’d like to upgrade the top end of my printer with the new version, and I have a huge pile of 5mm acrylic. I’ve got a small pile of aluminum, too, but I like acrylic if it might work.

3 Likes

I believe @orob was making some acrylic plates for his. I don’t see why it wouldn’t work. If you are concerned about the temp maybe just make the 5 plates that have steppers attached out of aluminum and the rest acrylic? Or you would probably be fine with the Z steppers so just the X and Y bottom plate from aluminum and everything else acrylic?

Actually the more I think about it I would probably make the lower X rail parts from aluminum as well since they have to support the entire X rail on just that little stub.

2 Likes

I think you’d be fine. I have a printer where the steppers get much hotter (like can’t touch hot) and the mounting brackets are ABS which has a similar glass transition. No warping at all after several years.

2 Likes

Totally didn’t think of comparing ot to abs. I feel absolutely fine about that, thanks!

1 Like

I cut the acrylic set of plates out of 5 mm, but have not yet assembled it. I have abs on the v4 and it is fine.

1 Like