A New LR3 Build

Ha, I did make the vroom vroom noise!

1 Like

It’s alive!

2 Likes

Wire extensions all connected and we have full smooth run of the table! Mach3 pendant working well. And… in the process of printing a gazillion drag chain links to get these cables under control.

1 Like

Cool!

It may not matter for your printer. But I found printed drag chains would slowly make turns because of the skew in my printer. So I printed them pointing in multiple cardinal directions so the tiny skew is cancelled out.

Yep. Found that out today. I was printing and printing lots of links and then I started to notice a slight bend. Very slight. But if you’re printing 8’ of little links the bend just gets more pronounced. So…I may try to flip them as you suggested (and a thought I had this evening as well), or…might just save a week of printing and just Amazon the chains. Sometimes just because we can do something it doesn’t mean it’s the best way to do it. Appreciate your input.

1 Like

Started doing some pen testing of the cnc tonight. After a couple hours of, how in the hell did I set up Mach3 on the last machine I built to get the x and y all aligned up because I obviously forgot…. Then I remembered. This controller box that came with my 6040 cnc was wired wrong. They flipped the breakout boards in the factory. So, several years ago I figured that out after a lot of bad words and glaring at the thing but forgot it.

Now with that not so insignificant bit of information we’re working great.

My current state of wire management; the dangly hang it from the rafters method.

1 Like

Looking good. :+1:

1 Like

Working on some cable management. Designed a few mount clamps, printed them up, and then used some painted 1” pvc pipe that I ran through the bandsaw to open up a channel for the wires. Still lots of fine tuning to do but getting there. I like a really clean sleek machine.

2 Likes

Wow! That is some pretty good resolution for this diy cobbled together cnc with a scrap bin parts pen holder.

3 Likes

3 Likes

And a bigger test. And… hopefully start making some wood chips this weekend.

4 Likes

Nice pen setup with built in retraction for adjustability!

Thanks, Doug. It can double as a drag knife holder too. Fun stuff.

1 Like

I absolutely love the dot matrix printer paper. I grew up in late 80s early 90s and those printers have a lot of nostalgia. We used to print banners with ascii clip art in the orientation you have and hang them up at birthday parties. Maybe I need to find some and make a few banners on my LR.

4 Likes

I did the same, except my banners were church related.

About 20 years ago I was working for an office that was clearing out a storage room. In the back was a big box of tractor feed dot matrix paper that they were going to throw away. Before it went in the dumpster I grabbed the box and have been using it for odd projects for years. For this CNC it’s perfect for testing long code.

3 Likes

Print Shop!!!

Used to run that as far back as our Commodore 64

3 Likes

C64 fans? Let’s make some noise!

POKE 54296, 15

1 Like

And moving on to dust control; had a family member that was tossing out an old Dyson vac. The thing was broken but I saved it for parts. Primarily this incredibly nice hose. It’s wire coiled, light, and expands 3 or 4 times its compressed state. Now to mount the separator and small shop vac.

2 Likes