A little poll on bed size

Hi tell me wht size bed you build the reason for this post is i have a full size bed 2.4mtr x 1.2mtr i am about to build a parabolic table i have never used my bench at its full size making @DougJoseph full size table will be the firt time so lets see what is the most practical size table ps we dont need to get into what are you going to use it for we are all makers so lets go

I have 2 LR3s, one at full sheet size and another at 3’ x 5’ (.9mtr x 1.5mtr) and my smaller one will probably get the most use. I do cut full sheet plywood often though so I like having that ability. Ryan’s idea with the 1/4 sheet size is not a bad one either. So many different options. Its all in what’s best for you and your needs

For making lots of the same thing, at a small to medium size, one can definitely get by without the big table. But when making big items, that are “all one piece” so to speak, the big table really, really helps a lot. Signage comes to mind (which I’ve done a good bit of on my big full size LowRider) and I am able to batch out large, 2-sided game boards, 8 of them per go, which takes a full-size sheet and bed to do. Because the game boards are hexagonal and “interlock” on the material, it would not be as easy without the big table. In fact the only way to do it without the big table would be to make the board games smaller.

1 Like

That will be fun to level!

I built mine with 24x24inches but am leaving the y belts long enough that when I get organized I can extend to 24x48. This allows me to use a 1/4 sheet of plywood/mdf/etc which are easy to find and to store. Our local big box stores will cut them down for free if asked.

Over my last few machines I have found it rare that I need to cut anything bigger than that. The largest machine was 30x50 and I still only really used the 24x48 envelope.

1 Like

My current build is about 1200 x 650mm or roughly four feet by two. It’s a kind of quarter of a full sheet if you squint.

I found with the LR2 that my projects were always either way too large to fit, a little bit too large to fit, or really small, so this time my spoil board will be in three pieces - one which gets used all the time at about 500 x 650, and two for storing stuff on several layers deep.

Extra horizontal space is never wasted.

Depends on how you classify the space under the ADHD doom piles…

1 Like

:man_facepalming: That’s my entire house LOL

1 Like

I sold my wife on the build with the idea of flattening slabs for our counter tops. And that’s how I’m going to list my services. Even if i only use 20x20" for my stuff the added size will hopefully be useful to other people enough that it will fund another project. People love working with slabs and i haven’t seen anyone in the area offering flattening services at all let alone cnc flattening.

My point is simply that don’t think just about your needs but also about other things it can be used for.

4’x8’ for me as I want the ability to break down full sheets of plywood and I have the space for it.