A clone so soon?

Seems odd to clone a brand new router… wonder what’s going on here.

Is it weird I was hoping to see a LR3 on that page?

3 Likes

With the ones I’ve seen, it’s often the cast parts that are identical w/clones - they slightly change the injection molded plastic parts to differentiate. My Makita clone (Bauer from Harbor Freight) appears identical to a Makita except for the plastic parts. That’s what caught my eye with the Kobalt clone - it seems the plastic parts are the same shape and color. That, and the inclusion of leds - which my clone and others lack.

The same pictures is what gets me. Like maybe the same render?

Maybe on the box?
As long as they’re cloning…

Well… It says “Compare to DeWalt”, but…

Kobalt, I believe, is made by Chervon, a Chinese company, which is also where Harbor Freight gets a lot of stuff.

Almost all tool brands are really just a handful of tool manufacturers at the top, so very likely they licensed it or manufactured it for them, with some slight changes, and possibly with the agreement that they “target” a compare to with a competitor, of which DeWalt is because that’s a Home Depot stocked brand.

2 Likes

If so, then it’s a clone that misses some of the key elements.

I wonder if this started in the pipeline before the refinements that Ryan and company suggested and the Kobalt one is the later (in design time) engineering refined derivative.

Very slight, but enough that you would have to have different castings

1 Like

Actually I think it might be. I think I sent the very first one back…or I could check. That is funny. Our work cost an extra $10!

1 Like

lol…but remember…They’ll be $59 with coupons and ITC memberships, etc. once they recoup some costs

2 Likes

Wow that is insane! Used mine as a router tonight. The slow start is very nice when it is in your hand!

2 Likes

By hand?! Like a caveman?!

3 Likes

You’re right - thought I’d done a good side by side of the pics, but clearly not.

Yeah. I needed a quick pocket on a 2x4 so voilla, i had to unbox an get it running!

1 Like

It sure does look like a clone, and the description (even down to two LEDs) sure sounds like a clone!

1 Like

That’s not very Ron Swanson of you

I’m pretty sure Ron would disagree with everything this forum stands for lol

Edit: Well…except maybe for this thread Smoking Meat

heh… that link seems to show up everywhere…

That looks like more of a Makita clone than the kobalt clone. But it would be hard to tell without seeing how big the plastic is on top. The kobalt ismuch larger than the makita. Like maybe they are trying to fill out the brand offering since Hercules is their premium offering and Bauer filled that spot, but the price has been reduced on it. So it is the blue version of the Bauer.

2 Likes

They had the hercules one in my local harbor freight back on 10/21 when i was there looking for some other tools. Confirmed date via my reciept from the day i seen it. Id imagine its more than like suppose to be a Makita clone