47% Starduster Biplane

This is a 47% scale model of a full scale Super Starduster aerobatic biplane that was all cnc routered or laser cut on a V1 Engineering MPCNC Burley.
Each part was cut with indexing tabs to enable framing without the need for a plan to build over
All framework for fuselage, wings, tail surfaces, etc. was all done on the Burley

20 Likes

Stunning! The Airframe assembly looks great, almost a shame to be covered up.

Can you double the scale in EstlCam so you can hop aboard and fly the next one? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Okay, I am impressed. That is just mind-blowing. Great work!

2 Likes

Fantastic work! I am an RC builder myself. What CAD program did you use for the aircraft design? Also, what size is you Burly working area?

1 Like

Autocad lt
The Burley has a 13"x38" cutting area
It was specifically setup to cut parts for giant scale model aircraft

2 Likes

Thanks so much Ryan, without you this never would have been possible !

4 Likes

Absolutely awesome!!

Just amazing !!

That’s crazy!!! So why 47% and not 50%?

3 Likes

That is a work of art. Fantastic.
How many hours do you reckon you have put in to that? Is it still balsa wood at that size?

Oh it’s the old 1:2.12765957447 scale!

I’d love to know what prompted that scale too please!

Had to fit in my trailer in a specific area, 1/2 scale would be to tall to fit, plus I use strictly 170cc twins and this size biplane (104" to 107")is just right.
My trailer is my limiting factor
If not I’d build bigger and it’s not required

6 Likes

Amazing!

I want one too! Turned out great! Is this one of those acrobatic planes that will never stall and can drag the tail around?

1 Like

wow, you did all that on the burley?? How big is your cnc??

Naw not a good drag around aircraft like the 3D stuff out there now a days, it is an exact scale aircraft (as far as moments and shape) and is intended for masters class scale competition (designed for the Top Gun competition in FL). It is an excellent platform for true scale aerobatics that the full scale was intended for.

5 Likes

yup on the burley with a 13x38 working area

4 Likes

now that sounds fun!

What an incredible work of ART! You are an amazing builder Tom.
Do you have any videos of it flying?

3 Likes

This was the first takeoff, it was very stable during the initial taxi tests

The first landing was really awesome, the CG, thrust and incidence setting I calculated around were spot on.

10 Likes