I recently upgraded my MP3DP to a V2, and all the MDF and printed parts were just sitting there. I couldn’t quite throw them away. My son (who is 3.5yo) really likes 3D printers, but I don’t let him touch them, most of the time.
So, the obvious thing was to take the parts and put it back together, without all the danger and let him break it as often as he wants!
Here’s a short log of the build. We used all the flat parts and most of the printed parts from the original printer. We used a bunch of the #6-32 screws/locknuts and we also used:
- Spray Paint, YES!
- 5/16" threaded rod (maybe not the best choice) and nuts
- 5/16" smooth rod
- 3D printed linear bearings (bushings, really): https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2537701
- Letter/Number stickers
Give the power to the toddler to pick whatever colors they want:
Kids are awesome:
Add some letters, so it’s educational. We sprayed hot pink, then put on letter stickers, then sprayed black, and peeled off the letters. They weren’t 100% straight, and they peeled off some of the pink (I think it was dryish, and the hot sun melted something in the sticker adhesive to make it dissolve the pink paint). We also did two colors on the sides for some green stripes. It was fun seeing him figure out WTF I was doing with the tape.
We used the threaded rods for the Y and the Z axis. I found only 1 smooth rod at Home depot (and it rang up as $0.01, so I don’t think they sell it anymore). With the printed bushings, he can move these axes around and they stay put. On the Z axis, I put a nut at about the minimum height for the Z, just to keep it from crashing all the way down
There are a few more pics in the album here: