1/2" Aluminum YZ Plates

Good to hear that they’re still working well. I’ve got 2 sets here that I was able to cut out of a 12mm Acrylic offcut we had floating around. I wouldn’t have even thought to go that route without seeing this and the other posts about it here.

1 Like

Most of the metal suppliers that I’ve dealt with in the past will do pieces cut to size for a per m^2 price plus sometimes a cutting fee. It’s much more expensive per unit of material than buying partial sheets because they have to account for needing weird shapes/sizes, but it’s still dramatically cheaper than buying an entire or 1/2 of a sheet.

There’s also a lot to be said for finding a smaller supplier and asking nicely if they have an offcuts stack that might have something in that range. I’ve had good luck in a couple of cases finding stuff sitting on a shelf and paying something midway between new and scrap price, especially if you’re ok with it being anywhere from 6-12mm, any common alloy and potentially a weird shape.

2 Likes

Ok, I feel guilty now… those prices are insane. We scrap aluminum sheet offcuts anything under 18" and square tube and angle less than 6 foot. Occasionally, they allow us to take some, providing you don’t abuse the privilege. Building a 5x5 cnc with free material.

4 Likes

Yes thats awesome, we dont have those privilege in here

1 Like

Wait a minute. How did you do those small 1.5mm diameter holes?

1 Like