Z Steppers Grind then shut

So the crown turned out well
Obviously just gotta figure out how to flip both X and Y :slight_smile:
Also, the issue of slowing down in corners… I am pretty sure i read about this somewhere else. Ill have to try to find it again… Smooth sections go fast, in corners it slows way down.

+X should go to the right
+Y should go away from you
+Z should go up, away from the spoil board.

You can flip the direction by flipping the stepper wire:

https://docs.v1engineering.com/software/reverse-motor/

Local norcal peeps?

haha couldnt be further from a Norcalite :slight_smile: Iowa :slight_smile:

Yes… so that is all accurate Jeff… + x is right, + y is away from me. However when I try to do this

The X being in the bottom left corner. That should be my 0,0
When I start it it doesnt produce the crown up and to the right, it produces it down and to the right… So I guess just the Y is flipped, not in the direction is is + when I dial it, but where it starts the print/cut. So I need to find a way to make Y movements go + not - when the job starts.
thanks

If it is just the start, then you probably didn’t set the home or origin. You can set it before you start, or add G92 X0 Y0 Z0 to the start of the gcode file, and start it at the origin.

Yeah thats actually not it.(re-read, was not trying to be rude lol, sorry). when you power the machine its 0,0,0 so thats where im starting…
WHat I think it is is just my crazy way of thinking about X Y Z… in 3d printing world MOST rep raps are X and Y zero are Front LEFT. and you print up and to the right.
For these cncs it seems that the home spot is upper left. If thats the case, its printing in the right direction. However, the X for the project for the starting spot is bottom left.
So basically I just need to flip Y somehow :slight_smile: thats all… Flip as in the axis, not the direction of travel.
I could do that in 1 second in Simplify 3d haha

Ok, im not thinking straight… trying to figure out origins etc.
You WERE right in that I just flipped the Y on the board, and now the origin is bottom left, and it moves up and to the right.
I could have sworn when I was doing my adjustments etc and testing that Y was + going up, but in fact it was going -…
So i think im all set now… im actaully ready to cut :slight_smile:
Of course I dont have a spoil board yet. I have the T nuts, but no screws, and I am not sure 100% how to lay it out.

Do you think this would work as a leveling bit for my spoil board? My table and the height measured with a device front to back is only off by .02mm so I probably dont need to level it… but perhaps the wood is off.

I never surfaced my spoil board. I would say it probably would, but I would rather you attach something as a spoil board and make some coasters or something. Just to get a taste. Get it dirty.

Oh yeah, the first deal is not going to be leveling the spoil board… well, i guess i did cut it down already, so I just need to lay out the grid and cut the holes, but you are right, that can wait.
ill v cut the crown or something first as a test.

1 Like