Why do we still use trim routers?

Why do we still use the smaller 1.25 HP trim routers?

I know we used to not add things to the gantry because that was additional weight. That doesn’t really seem to be the case anymore for the Lowrider.

For example, in my very quick research.
https://www.rockler.com/bosch-1617evspk-router-combo-package-bdl

If we threw out the bases, the router doesn’t look that much bigger but gives us an extra 1 HP. It also takes 1/2" bits.

Looks like we can get 1/8" collets https://elairecorp.com/boschcollets/

This router also claims to go down to 8,000 RPMs.

I know I am missing something obvious, but can’t figure out what it is. Basically every CNC out there is using a Makita trim router or goes all the way to a spindle.

Noticed @Autonomous has/had 2.25HP Bosche 1617EVS on his LR3 with several mods. He has some nice videos. Mount at Bosch 1617EVS tool mount for low rider 3

Guessing 1.25HP Trim Routers are readily available, relatively affordable (e.g. the $60 Kobalt) good option for people like myself that are relatively new to CNC (measuring my experience in total machine hours)?

1 Like

Yeah, what @azab2c said- they’re really affordable (Kobalt is on sale for $60, through 1/18 )

They’re also perfectly adequate for probably 90%+ of what LR3/Primo users would do with the machine.

There’s two limitations to that Bosch router (Shown below priced from Rockler.)

1. Price.
  2. Availability.

I love Rockler tools, but every time I go into the local Rockler store I do serious damage to my wallet.

All of that said, that is a really nice fixed base router. I nearly bought one myself not too long ago.

For the same price as that one Bosch, though, you could nearly build out an IDEX LR3 using the Kobalt or other similar clones.

1 Like

Yeah ignoring the model and vendor, it was mostly an illustration of a larger router.

So we are saying price to performance is the reason we choose the smaller routers? It’s not worth the extra ~$200

Fair enough, was just curious. I get to thinking about something and obsess over it haha

2 Likes

Nothing wrong with that. I do the same.

1 Like

Trim routers seem to be well sized and suited for the physical limitations of the LR3. Adding several HP (W) of cutting power would likely lead to attempts at larger bits, deeper cuts etc., which would probably lead to exceeding the capacity of the LR3 (stability, rigidity, etc). Kind of like strapping a V8 engine into a Honda Civic.

But I’m not an engineer, so maybe not.

1 Like

On my larger bowl bits I can hear the router slow down when it does the corners and has pretty full engagement. I understand that is probably like a 1% use case though. (also could probably optimize my tool paths)

It would be nice to use 1/2" shank for some bits. You can get larger radiuses in 1/2" that you can’t get on 1/4"

I’m not against putting a v8 in a Civic. When do you want to start?

I chose to spend some more and got this:

Really happy with it, 1400W (around 1.9HP), digital speed control, ER16 collet.

1 Like

Who’d do such a thing?

Whoops, I did it again… I played with your heart feeds, got lost in the flex, oh baby baby…

1 Like

Goes great on the straightaways, cornering is a bit sketchy, braking is a challenge. Sure, why not?

Reminds me of a Honda inline 6 motorcycle from back in the day (CBX). Went like hell until you had to turn a corner. Not many still left. They found most of them in a heap at the end of a long stretch of straight road.

That looks nice. Price too for my point of view since a new Makita here without accessories cost around 200 USD already :+1:

Ok, seeing we are talking about this now, how about we throw in spindles.

So the VFD ans spindles combination have come down in price. Excluding the very large spindles some people are using around here, there seem to be some benifts in regarding serting the speed of the bit for example.

What other things are the spindles good for vs trim routers?

I would consider spindles way more. You need ~$1k (or the price of a lowrider) to even get started.

This video summarizes the differences well.

1 Like

BTDT. Well, actually it was a 1982 Chevette with a 327ci. Ran great until it tore the rear suspension mounts out of the frame, which might be a bit of an object lesson for the big router…

interesting video!

i am sure the qualit meets the price, but you can get a 2.2kw spindle and VFD in australia

Spindle AU$193

VFD AU$122

so yeah, quality not sure, but other vevor stuff is lasting well…

Someone here has a vevor on their lr3. Just can’t remember who. Last time I looked they were out of stock.

1 Like

Using a larger spindle is fine, weight has never really been an issue. The issue with a larger router is it move the tool further from the machine, the further it is the larger the lever arm, the less rigid the machine gets. I believe (it has not been tested), any gained power will not be able to be used because of the rigidity sacrifice.

I designed it with small routers in mind for their power and size. It is a near perfect balance, and bang for buck can not be matched. Can you gain a bit of material removal rate with a spindle because most are very small and bring the power closer to the machine, probably, is it worth the cost…less likely. If you wanted to do that I would be more focused on the RPM range (and perhaps the control (I have found I do not actually like the machine to control RPM, I adjust on the fly a lot).

1 Like

To my knowledge, Vevor doesn’t make a thing, they just rebadge equipment. Not saying that’s a bad thing, but they often use multiple manufacturers for the same listing.

I do run air cooled spindles on both of my LR3s. I went that route for the noise more than anything. They are a LOT quieter than any palm router ive ever had.

With the jackpot running my VFD I can adjust on the fly and its extremely nice. Responds almost instantly

1 Like