Which type lr or mpcnc

just trying to get started on cnc. watched videos on both and dont know what all comes in the bundles.
if lp do i order 2 bundles 1) printed parts and hardware.
then go for what i want to do with it (router, laser, or extruder…)
any info will be welcome.
videos i have watched make me believe i will have to print my own parts and i have no printer.
thanks again
Ron

1 Like

Well, first you have to define what it is you want to do with your machine. Are you wanting to learn the basics of CNC? Are you looking to do full-sheet, flat-pack furniture or signs? Are you wanting to work with metal (Aluminium)? Do you need to use a different tool (e.g., laser, drag cutter, plasma cutter)? Once you get a handle on those questions, we can help you better decide what kit to go for.

edit: You’re going to want to say “yes” to all of those questions. Be honest with yourself, and manage your own expectations. It’ll cut down on frustration, and lead to a more fulfilling experience in the long run. :slight_smile:

As for printed parts, Ryan does sell printed parts (and I think has a couple of licensed folks who can sell them as well), so you don’t need a printer.

3 Likes

Welcome.

You are correct. Hardware bundle which includes the options for control boards and printed parts bundle. If you go for a LowRider, you need to source the flat parts for the Z sides and router plate. These can be made by hand.

If you are ok with 24" x 24" normal work area, then MPCNC. It’s a good starter project, especially if you want versatility with laser and extruder too. If you decide you need to go bigger, you can repurpose a lot of the hardware and control board for the LowRider.

Here are two good topics to read.

2 Likes

*hands Welcome Wagon badge to @scrounge79* :cry:

1 Like

Thanks for the advice just didn’t know what questions to ask. have been watching others on you tube.
looking to design and make wood products some aluminium as well as plastic. Have ideas for safety items for different shops (wood, metal, chemical…) some need to be non conductive others chem. resistant.
Do need to brush up on design work.
What i am panning can be done on a mill but expensive thought this would be a better choice (3d printing, routing, laser all possible in one machine unless i’m missing something.
thanks for the welcome and advice on what questions to ask.
Ron 3655

Possible, yes. But… Jack of all trades, master of none and all that jazz… That’s not a dig on the design, just a statement of fact. It’s tough to be a great 3D printer and CNC router and laser cutter/engraver. A router and laser will tend to have smaller Z-Axis travel, and the router needs to be a lot more rigid, since there are a lot more lateral stresses on the tool. That will also slow it down compared to a laser or printer.

So what to do? Go for the default. A 24"x24" MPCNC (total size, not workspace), maybe bump up the Z size to 5-6". You can shim up your workpieces to keep things rigid for routing while leaving you room for printing space. If you find you want a bigger machine, you can get longer conduit, and reuse everything else. Or use it to cut pieces for a LowRider.

If you really want multiple tools, and expect to be switching regularly, I’d advise getting enough parts to build several Z-Axis assemblies, one for each tool. Done with forethought, you can unplug the Z motor, the tool(s), pull the whole assembly from the gantry, and replace it with the next tool. Easier than fiddling with the mounting screws on the tool holder all the time.

1 Like

Thank you
I know it sounded like i was going into it all at once but like the turtle slow but sure .
router first get commfy with it and then other.
thanks again. Ron

1 Like