Which laser to mount on 24" x 24" Primo

Assuming you are running the latest firmware (2.1.1/515), no firmware changes are required. If you are running an older version, I suggest you update your firmware.

The laser pin for the SKR Pro is PC9:

If you are using a separate power supply, you need to connect your laser to the ground of the control board. Your laser can be wired up with or without the NEJE Transfer Board.

You need to put the following at the top of your g-code file to enable inline commands:

M3 I

I designed a basic mount. It fits on the tool plates, so it will fit any version of the Primo. Personally, I have a separate Z axis with my laser and this mount. That way, I can just pull out the Z axis with the router, insert the Z axis with the laser, connect a few wires, and be ready to burn. I vaguely remember that I had something I wanted/need to change about this mount for my laser, but I cannot remember what that was. The plastic is threaded for #6 machine screws. Here are the three STL files:

Basic_Tool_Mount.zip (523.3 KB)

While it is not specific to your question, I highly recommend buying a copy of Lightburn to generate the g-code for your laser. It supports inline commands, which produce superior burning and engraving results.

1 Like

As far as I know I’m on the latest one but I will double check and update if need be.

Awesome! Thank you! That helps a ton!

Do I need to run a separate power supply? I’m running the Primo on 24v power supply from Ryan. I have a larger 24v power supply and also a 12v power supply if need be. I didn’t even think to look at the voltage on the laser before buying it.

Also what difference does the Transfer board make??? Do you suggest running it or not??

Thank you for the files! This will be a dedicated laser as I’m building a smaller 3’ x 5’ LR3 to replace the Primo so no need to separate Z for me.

Once I’m up and running getting Lightburn is top of the list.

Do I need to run a separate power supply? I’m running the Primo on 24v power supply from Ryan. I have a larger 24v power supply and also a 12v power supply if need be.

The product page makes a strange statement about voltage. I believe this module requires 12V, so you will need an independent power supply, or you will need to change to a 12V power supply for your SKR Pro. If you go with a common power supply, you will need 10A or more. I run my laser on a separate 12V power supply. When I purchased my machine, the power supply came with the kit.

Also what difference does the Transfer board make?

The Transfer board is for your convenience. I use my laser module on two different machines. I use the Transfer board on one of them, and I wire the laser directly on the other. You need to plan how you want to run the wires for your laser module, and then decide.

Ok that’s no problem since i have this other 12v power supply handy

Ok I have no plans to transfer the laser anywhere else so probably just wire directly for me.

One other question. Is MDF ok as a base for the Primo to sit on with it being strictly for a laser??

Ok I have no plans to transfer the laser anywhere else so probably just wire directly for me.

The Transfer board is not about moving the laser around. It is about the convenience of the connections. For example, the Transfer has a barrel jack for the 12V power supply. Also, it breaks out a two-wire connection for the PWM and ground between the laser and the control board. With the Transfer board, you have to decide where to mount it and run the wires. For example, I have mine mounted to the top of my enclosure centered on my workspace. If seen others mount the board to the Z axis, or mount it near the control board. Each choice changes the length and potentially the type of the wire runs.

If you wire it directly you will either have to cut off the power supply jack, or provide a barrel connection. You will also have to ‘Y’ the ground connection so you can connect a ground wire to the control board along with the ground connection between the power supply and the laser

One other question. Is MDF ok as a base for the Primo to sit on with it being strictly for a laser??

I use my Primo for both routing and laser work. I have a MDF spoil board. For laser work, a piece of sheet metal to protect the MDF is required. In addition, for laser cutting work, you will also want a honeycomb or other solution to lift the work up.

Note there is some benefit to surfacing your spoil board with a router even if you never plan to do router tasks. Having the work surface parallel to the plane of movement means your focus will stay the same (with respect to the stock) as you move around.

1 Like

Ok thanks for that extra clarification. That makes a lot more sense now. I have a 12v power supply from Ryan that came with the barrel Jack on it (assuming I didn’t cut it off) so that may work out better. If not I’ll have to figure out another way to wire it. Either way it seems like having the board there will make things a little simpler.

I have some honey comb on order and will pick up a piece of sheet metal to put under it. Good thought on the surfacing. I can move the machine (hopefully) in one piece and surface it before I take the spindle out and mount the router. Hopefully it will be trammed in good enough to at least get close and sand smooth if need be. I imagine the sheet metal will sit there no problem regardless but having it all the same level will be a big help.

Made a tiny bit of progress on the laser conversion today. Got the new truck clamps to hold the angle iron for cable chain installed and also printed an SKR mount from the V4 to house the board.

3 Likes