Well this is different

1 Like

That looks pretty sweet. Not sure I would go with 4 steppers on the XY but…why not. Looks to be a premium design. I might have to start collecting some parts.

He does it for the same reasons the mpcnc does it. More torque and holding strength. The more of both you have, the faster you can print without artifacts like ghosting. Though the railcore can already print faster than the hotend can melt plastic.

I figured, steppers are cheap enough. I have a few sketches of a similar design, like the cross tubes for equal axis accels. The three Z ball screws is something I had not thought to try.

That’s how we do leveling on the railcore. I think the voron has 4 z rails.

1 Like

That was a great looking part, but 1500 - 2500 according to his github. Anybody has a look at that yet? How hard would it be to bring that down into, say, mpcnc territory? Unless I can figure out how to sell stuff made of plastic (and that demo part really did look great!) , the wife will never go for it.

Sure, use cheap Chinese knock offs of all the parts. Replace the ball screws with regular screws, replace the mgn rails with clones. Those two are the bulk of the cost. It won’t print as nice though. My current printer kit was just a tad over a grand, had some cheap parts in it to make it cheaper. I’ve since replaced some of the parts to get better prints. The new kits already have better parts, but the price reflects this.

1 Like

We need to set it up so you can print and sell me stuff. I can print and sell you stuff, and we can both justify more expensive machines!

2 Likes

I like the way you think!

Good thinking… I do hope our wives are not reading this though :joy:

2 Likes

Got to love those linear bearings, triple Z leadscrew and fourwheeldrive on XY. Beautiful machine. I’ll have to find a way to sell plastic.

1 Like