Warped parts?

I just finished a piece with low bed temperature, 45 degrees C at the initial layer (to make the bed ashesive stick) and then lowering the bed temp to ambient room temp.

It has less warping and no elephants foot.

Two parts for the ZenXY. Also slight warping at the bottom.

1 Like

What filament are you using? If you posted prior, I apologize.

Oops you did. Pla and those conditions should not be doing that. Are there large drafts??? Or are you printing fast? I recently learned if you slowwww your print down it has more time to cool. I think it is in that post above. With speed you need adequate cooling.

I am printing in a cold room in my basement. The ambient temperature is 13-14 degress C. It
´s winter here so not that humid, about 38%.

There is however a machine that removes moisture from the air in the room where I have one printer, this might affect the prints.

I did print at 50mm/s but I am now printing av 40mm/s.

Printed in an enclosed closet, ideally I should insulated panels to help reduce chance of temperature difference causing warping.

1 Like

I want to upgrade my ender 3 max to something better.

How are you enjoying your ender 3 max?

Happy with the size capacity and quality for the price. Bought Jan 2020, since then added dual gear extruder and upgrading the tensioner definitely helped with reliability.

Glad I changed nozzle to 0.6mm to speed up prints. Pretty sure I could squeeze a lot more performance out of the machine.

Drying out PETG makes huge difference, even seems to help with Matte PLA. I haven’t experimented much with other filament types. Still have unopened TPU.

Consider myself a novice… Only using few times per month for hobbies or to solve/improve a home related problem. Ends up being infrequent bursts of usage, not quite enough constant usage to frustrate me into building a $$ voron, or latest V1E Printer.

With the 0.6 nozzle, what kind of layer height are you using? And do you use 2 or 3 perimeters?

For V1E parts 0.32mm layer height with 3 layers. So, beyond what was recommended by docs.
Didn’t try out teaching tech’s max extruding rate test recently to help figure out max reliable layer height possible with my printer. Also, was reluctant to make layer height too thick for V1E parts because of the tight tolerances for some parts, the belt holders for example. Guess could optimize print time and use thicker layer height for some parts… Hope that helps, cheers!

I am thinking of reprinting a lot of parts on my ender 5 plus with a 0.6 nozzle.

I am still uncertain on when part is useful and when the part should be discarded? With respect to print quality or lack thereof.

Just finished an eight hour print with some warping in the corners. Less heat on the bed didn´t help.

I´ll try more heat later today. Ironing and monotonic ordering does make the top surface somewhat nicer.

These are the pieces I have at the moment, some of them are good, but most of the braces are unfortunately warped. Not sure I like the grey on red color schema. Eventhough there are only 1 gray piece at the moment.

1 Like

If your workshop’s temperature goes below 59 degrees F, then you could run into warping issues even when printing with PLA. The best way to avoid this problem is to print with an enclosed or heated chamber . When it gets extremely cold, you might have to use an active heating source such as a space heater or IR lamp

Source
Tips for Running A 3D Printer During Winter - 3D Insider.

OBI: You could very well be spot on. I am printing in the basement but I´ll travel in couple of days to where I have an Ender 5 plus in warmer ambient temp.

Hopefully then I can reprint most parts without warping.

Have you tried printing a Temperature Tower?

Hi OBI,

I haven’t printed a temperature tower yet.

If I do print one, what should I look out for?

13c is way too cold if you ask me! Especially if there’s a draft in the room. A brim would help, but I’d certainly increase ambient temperature, and would consider this the main fault reason…

1 Like

I´ll know in a couple of days if it´s the ambient temp that is too cool for PLA when I´ll print the same models,with the same filament but with another printer and higher ambient temp.

I spent an extra filament roll on pieces that I probaly won´t use, not a waste, more a proof of concept for me I guess.