Using Finishing tool (Island vs. Part)

Set up:
Using 1/4" downcut to do the Island and then need to use a 1/8" downcut to clear out a bit more in the letters (due to the Font my wife wants). If I add the finishing tool to the Island tool path vs. when I choose the Part path (for the outside of the letters), it shows up and works.

But, if I add the finishing tool when I choose the Part path, once I select the Island then it is lost. Has other EstlCAM users noticed this or is this the way it is supposed to work?

1 Like

Island is not the right tool for that, choose carve, select the small endmill and use a larger one for cleanup (to be specified at the bottom right where you select depth etc). If you have, use a V endmill as the main tool. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks. We are trying to get the letters to be the same height as the boarder - just another name sign :blush:
If I use ‘carve’ and select a V-bit (90degrees), then select a 1/4" downcut as the ‘carve pocketing tool’, the preview doesn’t show the 1/4" downcut bit being used and just shows the outline of the letters and boarder.
Did I miss something?

Make sure you check the gcode preview. The carve preview is a little funky.

To create a pocket cut with an island you use a part path to (temporarily) define the island and then a hole path with island pocketing selected. All the part path did (past tense) was define the boundaries of the island pocketing path, it (and any finishing tool path connected to it) no longer exists after you click the island icon.

Island is the right tool if you are using a straight tool and want a straight sided pocket/islands. In this case I think the suggested carve pocketing would work and look nicer. Carve pocketing requires setting a Depth limit and increasing Maximum carve width, carve pocketing will show up as gray. See Dave Lers : Workshop : CNC : Estlcam : Carving for details.

1 Like

Thanks for re-assuring me that I was doing it correctly. And thank you for explaining how setting up the part path first (to define the boundaries of the island pocketing), then gets ‘deleted’ once the island pocketing path is set up. That makes sense. I was doing process of setting up the island correct after all :grinning: Yeah me :wink:

1 Like