UK build by a CNC noob

I figured I might as well start my build thread now as I pressed the button on the order :slight_smile:

It’s taken a lot of deliberation to get to this point. I enjoy little bits of wood working and have been planning to do a number of things in the house. What I have found is I enjoy the cad side of things as much as the building. I love being able to design and tweak the designs in software, look around it in 3d etc. I’m hoping that a CNC allows me to have some more fun.

I looked at:

• MPCNC but that’s too small for me.
  • printnc - I’m not confident with working with metal. Looks like it needs a dedicated space.It’s also expensive.

The low rider looks good for me:

• I’ll use it almost exclusively for wood
  • I can put the machine away
  • the price is not too much risk. This was actually the hardest bit. Being in the UK I figure I’m paying over the odds for the bits to be sent china -> US -> UK. In the end I though f### it. I could probably save a bit by ordering myself but given I’m coming in as a noob getting all the correct parts and taking 1 variable away could help. Also the community seems good and obviously a lot of work has gone into this. So Ryan getting a bit of cash seems fair :slight_smile:

Getting to this point has felt like quite a bit of work. Coming from zero knowledge made the shop quite difficult. Just getting to the point of understanding the jargon made things harder. I would suggest having a single click option to buy may help. A I want everything necessary to build the thing option! I almost walked away due to not really knowing if I had everything. Maybe others have got to the point and backed off?

Anyway I’m really excited now. I needed a hobby and now I have two or three. Building the CNC and also maybe getting into 3d printing too. I have put that off for now as it just felt like too much to get to the point of what I originally wanted to build! But I think I will revisit this and get a 3d printer this year at some point.

7 Likes

Parts arrived. Time to have some fun :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Looks like a lot of fun! I hope that you’ll post more pictures!

I’m getting going I will paste some pics soon. A general question:

Generally I would wire everything up to the mother board and see that the motors move before putting the whole thing together and routing the cables etc.

In the videos I see that this is not done and the cables are checked with a multimeter.

This seems like the right approach but something in me really wants to physically see the motor run before I do everything. Check that the switches do work etc.

Am I being daft?

For my Primo I had all the wiring completed by the time I got my printer. It also gives you the chance to learn how everything works without it being buried somewhere.

1 Like

I think I may do the same.