Tool change without endstops

Hello,

in the object that I’m milling I have to perform a tool change (from simply milling some pockets to actual drill some holes). At the moment I am using Fusion 360 to generate the GCode and I didn’t have endstops (yet).

Do you have any suggestions or “trick” on how can I achieve a tool change? Basically I have to contour an object and then drill some holes in it (diameter 3.3 mm).

I usually just drill with an endmill and make it simple. If you have to do a tool change with no endstop you just use a pause, lift, (change tool), zero Z, un-pause. The steppers stay energized and do not lose there position.

Thanks for sharing.

I just discovered why I was having hard times with the boring operation: my tool diameter is 3.2 and the hole I’m going to drill is 3.3. So there’s literally no space for “juggling” and create the correct hole, I have to use a drill movement.
I’ll have to double check the plunging speed, though. I was using the 3mm/s and it seems it was too fast and wore out my (poor) tool.

Just for the records, I found this hold topic regarding tool change: https://www.v1engineering.com/forum/topic/tool-change-g-code-and-z-touch-plate/ . That was a very interesting read!
After digging around, I discovered that’s possible to use the M0 command even without an LCD: you have to enable the option EMERGENCY_PARSER in the advanced configuration. In this way, after issuing the M0, it’s possible to continue using the M108 command.