Tool change mid job without auto probing

Is it possible? Normally in the past (marlin) I would jog the machine while it was paused, do the swap, and reset the Z. I haven’t figured an obvious way to do this in fluidnc besides running a separate job for each tool :confused:

You can set up tool change gcode in your cam software. That’s what I use in estlcam. It moves back to 0,0 and homes Z then after I change it probes z then goes back to work

It works exactly the same.

I have the substitute gcode on the jackpot instruction page, but otherwise it is only a few different commands.

1 Like

Others have also posted they like to separate the tasks into 2 codes. tool 1 and tool2 .

Sorry, I was not clear enough

Is there a way to do this manually without the touch plate?

When the program is paused in jackpot, I can’t jog the machine at all

If you used a third party software like cnc.js yes. Otherwise the only way I can think to do it would be to disable Z steppers and physically set it. But it would be extremely unreliable. Maybe another way, Ryan and others that have come from the LR2 may know a way

Can I ask why you currently don’t have a touch plate? A touch plate in its simplest form is a piece of conductive metal that has a uniform thickness. Mine I used a cheap china wrench from a 3d printer part

Photo here:

1 Like

I have the same problem with the WebUI on the jackpot. It pauses for the toolchange but then you can’t hit any inputs to do the probe or resume the print. I haven’t tried it since I took the Z home out of the code but it is annoying.

“~” is resume

On a tool change the button only goes away on some browsers when you refresh. if you have any issues just type , ~, into the terminal. I am pretty sure I added that to the instruction page.

Currently, I can not add it as a button, but I am still hopeful there will be a way to with the next UI update.

I’m in the process of putting a physical button in for resume. I’ll see if that makes a difference.

I have one of Ryan’s. It’s very nice when the job is uncomplicated ><

I have a couple of weird workflows (example: where i want to zero off stock and table in the same job) and it would just be so much easier to be able to jog while paused vs figuring out where it needs to go and then writing & inserting a piece of gcode to move the probe to the right spot.

I probably have other bad habits :upside_down_face:

If you have multiple windows open it doesn’t send the pause to all of them (or if you come back sometimes?)

I run a tablet with a single window open so I know that isn’t the problem. I think it’s like Ryan was saying. The resume button doesn’t work when paused so a ‘~’ in the terminal may start it again. I haven’t had a chance to try.

I’m finding a lot of buttons that don’t really work on the webUI. But that is well beyond my limited coding skills to try to fix. I’ll try a hardware button, first.

Which ones? That all can be changed in the yaml but really everything should be controlled in gcode. The buttons are all literally just backup. ~ works perfectly, I use it often on very long jobs. I wrote it on my table near where I use my controller.

I can’t get any of the movement tabs to work in the Tablet tab. A few buttons started working for me on the Dashboard once I remembered to turn on the auto polling.

That is not right at all. They all work with or without auto polling.

How old is your tablet, what browser, are they both up to date?

The only button I think that is not connected to anything is mist.

It’s an old iPad mini 2. I’m going to try a different tablet later today and my laptop just to see if I get different results.

Sure enough. Use the browser on a Pi and on a Windows system all buttons work. Yet another number on my “why I hate Apply products” list. Only have these because they were free.

1 Like

Is that with Safari on the iPad?
Can you put a reasonably recent Firefox browser on that old of an iPad?

In theory he should be able to get the last allowed version. However some devs remove those so :person_shrugging:

Buuuuutttt, if he feels like Jailbreaking it… :eyes:

For me it’s just another excuse to use them for target practice. I put a computer in my shop so when I need to make changes to something I can stop running back into the house.

2 Likes