Tool Change mid cycle

Hey there. I’m very new to cnc and was wondering before I build my mpcnc primo how I can switch from an 1/8” flat end mill to a 1/8” chamfer end mill during a cycle? I need to cut out shapes and then chamfer their edges, how would I do this? Thanks in advance y’all!

That is done in software And you would need to choose what hardware/software you will use prior to that answer

1 Like

Is the software just a pause where I change the bit and then let it resume?

1 Like

With my setup yes. Estlcam outputs gcode todo toolchange pause. I have not yet done it, but hoping to do it this weekend!

Thanks for all the help! One last question - do I have to buy anything else to change the tool or can I just do it by hand once the pause happens?

I have a sign i am going to carve using an end mill to rough it then change to vbit to do fine detail.

Let me see if i can find the video i watched. Mine will be manual. I have ramps 1.4 with arduino and will need to press confirmation to continue.

Ryan also has a process here Milling Basics | V1 Engineering Inc

In case you are still needing more info. Here is another item Tool Change G Code and Z Touch Plate

1 Like

So this goes into alot of detail, more than you need now, just know that it is possible.
There is a member here that did make an auto tool changer also!!!

Anythng is possible!

1 Like