Time to upgrade from threaded rod

Do you have that somewhere still? I’m curious because 1start leadscrews have been a solution for heavy beds on corexy printers lowering when the stepper motor isn’t powered, and I haven’t heard anyone reporting skipped steps or friction issues from doing so. Really a 1 start leadscrew is reasonably similar to a threaded rod just with better precision and further distance between the threads.

It does this for two reasons, less mechanical advantage and more friction.

Beds do not move far or fast except homing.

You are not wrong, I am just saying my opinion is 4 start is the best option for speed in 3D carves. The trade off is making sure you end above starting position, does not seem like a issue since you want to be able to remove your material anyway, so that is why we recommend that. Speed, power, cost the three legs we balance on in the CNC world.

Ah, so it’s 3d carves specifically. What z speeds cause issues? I wonder if it’s driver or setting related. There’s so many variables, so changing 1 thing often requires changing several other ones. Maybe it’s just processing speed on the 8bit boards suffers?

1 Like

No issues you just need to choose your speed and gear it accordingly. It was a specific choice.

I wonder if a 2 start leadscrew would hold position as well as the 1 start, but not trigger as many other issues. Something to explore for a future build maybe. When I actually have a shop to put the thing in. :wink: You may have guessed, but I really don’t keep anything stock. Tinkering with design is as much a hobby as making things.

1 Like

Me too. I change the machine as much as I use it. I think the 2 or 1 start are viable options, but only if you’re interested in tinkering with that part of the machine. If you’re trying to tinker with something else, or just get some cutting done, then the “stock” option saves some headaches.

tl;dr - “If it ain’t broke, wait a bit…” Hold on. “If it ain’t broke, you didn’t fix it hard enough…” No, that’s still not it. “If it ain’t broke, don’t let Zed fix it…” Dang it!

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Starting off the new year with a little upgrade to the mpcnc. T8 rod, new mini Rambo board, and latest firmware. ATP, so now to find and print a case with cooling fans.

2 Likes

I found a case that I liked, but it didn’t have active cooling, so I added some:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4080528

2 Likes

Making great progress. That machine is going to sing.

I’m done modifying at this point. I just finished sliding the case back into the electronics bay inside the base. Now I’m playing with Fusion 360’s post processor again.