Targeting a Start Position on LR

Just curious how everyone locates an exact start position on the LR with so little visibility. I’m constantly doing eyeball twister trying to locate a reference mark on my work piece the router tip for my origin point. I run into this when trying to rescue a stopped job that I forgot to write down the offsets for or when using a barely big enough piece of scrap.

I’ve played with the idea of a wire crosshairs that i could xy probe to but figured someone had a better solution.

I use an MPCNC, not a LowRider, so you problems may be different. I struggled with this problem cutting features into prepared stock with a 1/4" bits. I tried several things including a “fancy” laser crosshair with a known offset to the bit. What finally worked for me was a 3D printed cap for my 1/4" bits with a portion of a T-pin at the tip to precisely position my bit. Pretty low tech.

I attached the 3D models for this cap in this topic.

4 Likes

@robertbu that is a perfect solution… I love low tech simple answers like this. Downloading your bit condom now.

I have dual endstop on my LR and Primo, If I can’t locate the position, I just run the job again… I did get the laser crosshair but did not have time to play with it, also I dont thing the laser will be very usefull if you change the cutter… you will have to re-focus the laser… lets say from a 3/4" to 1" long cutter

The idea is to have the laser perfectly perpendicular to the router, but mounted on the core and therefore offset from the router. The relative distance between the center of the crosshairs to the center of the bit stays the same. So you would center the laser crosshairs on your job origin position, then jog the relative distances (will remain constant and can be programed into a custom button on Repeteir-Host or similar), and the bit is all lined up in X and Y. My issue was getting the laser perfectly perpendicular in a position easily readable with all of Ryan’s lovely curves on the core. It’s solvable problem, but I haven’t had a project since where the simple cap isn’t good enough.

1 Like

:+1: I now understand how you would mount it. I did see couple mounts on thingiverse where the crosshair was attached on the tool mount. That was the reason for my comment.
Thank you for the explanation