Syn's RGB Lighting Projects

Yes, an exterior facing LED strip would be ideal. This was more about the aesthetics. It will output enough light for some things, but it’s more about the accent in an area. I have two pieces left to mill of the 7 total pieces. Had a mis-cut due to a stepper issue that is now fixed, so I hope to have these cut tonight and I can start the finish work to get it assembled.

3 Likes

Finally got around to hanging the light bar experiment…

I had a three panel painting hung here already so I just reused the screws instead of putting it all the way up against the ceiling. The camera can’t capture what it really looks like, so this will have to do.

2 Likes

Early morning shot before the sun came up…

4 Likes

I have been putting my lights on my house early for next Christmas.

I have only done the garage so far. I am doing the porch next and if I can find a 30’ ladder and some courage I will do the upper roof line.

5 Likes

Looking good. I’ve been having fun with mine. I’m currently working on a sequence for Valentine’s day.

They look a lot better than that. This is just white on the theater mode, which is like marching ants. I am just trying to save the good photo/video for after they are all done.

Are you using wled? Are you controlling them from the web ui or something else like xlights? I have tried xlights a little, and I was able to control them from it (even with my goofy quad output board). But I am not sure I would benefit from that with so few lights connected.

We should share some patterns. It can be tricky to find good stuff among the tons of choices.

I’m using the ESPixelstick firmware, but I’ve considered switching to WLED. WLED seems to have more options for a static display.

I’m using both Xlights and Vixen3 to create sequences.

My sequences are being delivered by FPP (falcon player) on a raspberry pi. I’m using uni-cast to the two pixel sticks. I’m considering re-writing part of the display this spring and removing one of the controllers so that I only have the 1 pixelstick for the entire eaves. That’ll give me a spare pixelstick to try and build a prop to add for next year. I want to do two big candy canes for the entryway on the front porch.

I use home assistant to turn the display on 30 minutes before sun down. I take advantage of the scheduling abilities of FPP to show different sequences depending on the time of year. IE, one sequence ran in November that had Thanksgiving day type colors (yellows and oranges), and then on Dec 1st, FPP automatically started showing my Christmas display. I simply disable the automation in Home Assistant if I don’t want the lights on. Right now they’re not coming on each night. I have considered creating a sequence that just has a couple of LED’s on at 20% power and a slight off-white to act as ‘night lights’ during the year when I’m not running sequences. Our house doesn’t have any house lighting on it.

1 Like